Capturing video from a 8mm tape

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ovi, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Ovi

Ovi New Member

help :ugh:
    i have this Sony Handycam camera with Hi8 (8mm) tapes since like 3 years ago but i never managed to succesfully capture video from it :squint:
    I have a Pixelview PlayTV Pro TV tuner and i'm linking the camera to it with a S-video to S-video cable .... the problem is that i NEVER managed to do a quality recording , i somehow manage to f*** up the compression settings all the time :o
    I just want to transfer to my computer the old recordings where i fire up stuff , try to blow up a cooker and stuff like that. Could somebody link me to good tutorial that would help me up to do a quality recording/compression (divx or what works the best) ?????????

2. Ovi

Ovi New Member

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of ports are on the camcorder?

I've used a Dazzle 80 to stream video to my PC using Roxio EZ CD Creator 7.5.

The quality comes out ok. I think it streamed the video into a .mpg. From there, you can go to dvdrhelp.com and look for a guide to convert it to whatever you want.

4. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Unless you are able to get the video off of the camera using USB/Firewire or whatever ports are on it if any, you're not going to get any kind of high quality video.

I've used the pinnacle device at work once or twice, and it worked fine for what we needed.

6. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Get a Sony Digital8 camcorder, rip via firewire, return camcorder.

FTW