capoeira or brazillian jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Which should I take?

I've boxed and kick boxed when I was younger as well as tried abit of muay tai and hapkido. I'm trying to take something up again and trying to decide between the two.

My main consideration because I'm 36 years old is which am I less likely to suffer injuries from?
    Bjj is definitley more paractical in a fight but for stunt work capoeira would be awesome. So both have their good points. and it comes down to the injury factor. I think bjj, despite the arm locks might be safer. Any thoughts?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Why are you taking it? Fitness or to fight? Is your only concern/deciding factor the injuries? Both will yeild injuries, but different kinds. Most injuries with BJJ can be prevented with good technique and a little restraint on your partners end. BJJ will be the more practical (real world) art. Most fights end up on the ground (especially if you want it to), and if you have the skill to end it quickly you are better off.

edit: I have been back into things for 2 months seriously. The only time I was injured in BJJ was when some idiot hotshot tried to crank a Kimura (arm lock) and hurt my shoulder. Otherwise I have never once been injured, and we spar everyday. I don't know how much actual contact sparring Capoeira does (probably not much), but the acrobatic moves themselves could easily lead to injury.

I wouldn't worry about taking both either... they don't really complement one another at all.

Does the BJJ school have No Gi classes, or are they all traditional Gi classes? Do they also offer some sort of striking program? Just other things to consider.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

More for fitness and just to challenge myself.
    Learning how to fight is not really a priority. So injuries would be the number one consideration since I don't want more injuries to sidetrack me from working out.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I have never trained Capoeira, but my educated assumption would be that you would get injured less in Jiu Jitsu. Cap. is more acrobatic, that is for sure... but you will build some serious endurance from rolling (sparring) day in and day out.

5. i am going to take lessons from a capoeira guy next year. I think itd be great for fitness because of what djvash said for sure. you move around a lot in capoeira.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Definitely agree with you on all points.
    One of my friends has been doing sambo for a few years and man, I'm winded after rolling for a few minutes.
    Looks like bjj then unless something else factors in...
    Thanks for the input djvash.

7. Bandito

Bandito OT Supporter

BJJ > *

You seem worried about the "Arm locks" Dont be you will learn how to defend those within a few lessons and unless your instructor is a complete ass you will be rolling with people your own skill and having the Blues (Blue belts) give u a schooling every now and then and no blue belt would have gotten the belt if he goes to break the newbies arms every chance he gets

*I am talking about a "legit" BJJ school and not a backyard one ran by some guy who thinks he can instruct because he has seen all the UFC's and has emailed Royce Gracie and said Hi.*

8. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

9. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

i can't decide what i want to take this summer, my roommate went to thailand for like 6 months last year and took a bit of muay thai while he was there. It's up there in the running, but i can't decide how much i can learn about striking that will make me so good at fighting, vs. limited knowledge i have now with advanced grappling knowledge. Just not sure how much there is to learn about striking...
    Also, i kind of want to learn some weapons, namely bo stick and sword. So, neither of those two would be good for that, so then, look for a kung fu school? I got a couple months yet... but i should start considering/looking. Southwestern ohio area if anyone knows anywhere...

10. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

bjj for fighting.

capoeira for fitness, acrobatics, stunt work.

I'm sure you'll get some conditioning doing bjj also but i think capoeira will give you more cardio type conditioning.

And as for non-fighting styles, I personally think bjj is played out. everyone and their brother is taking it or teaching it.

11. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:rolleyes:

12. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

SLO kickboxing is a good school, you should go in for a free lesson.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

:eek3:

I would be there in a second, if I could. I wish I had a top school like that near me... but my school is still awesome.

14. KingJeff

KingJeff New Member

Ive been takin bjj for about 4 months now. ITs great excersise. My conditioning have gotten a lot better. WHen I first started I could bareley grapple one round. NOw I try to grapple 3x.

15. Check out Sherdog and see how many of these MMA guys get jacked in streetfights.

That should tell you something. I have the utmost respect for them and their sport, but in a world of three-on-one...rolling on the floor isn't good.

I'd say that a wrestler/boxer would do better...er...shoot wrestling I think it's called, good mix of both.

16. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

my friend trained there...

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Link please? :rolleyes: I have seen stories of "MMA guys" dominating an untrained person in a street fight 90% more often than your scenario. Fighting 3 on 1 is stupid anyways. That is when you use other skills (intelligence -> running away).

Rolling around on the ground isn't MMA, it's Jiu Jitsu. Wrestling + boxing is mma... Mixed Martial Arts. If someone is a Mixed Martial Artist he will stay on his feet, not roll on the ground against multiple people. IF the fight goes to the ground the objective is to end it as quickly as possible, and that is very easy against someone untrained.

18. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

mma guys against regular guys would DESTROY them, they practice striking and movement all the time,and if it does goto the ground ill bet 500000$ that they will either dislocate/break something since its now like they gonna let them submit

anyone watch k1/pride or even ufc? i dont like ufc that much

19. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

jiu jitsu all the way

20. Tugga

Tugga OT Supporter

I'm Australian Amature champion in MMA

:)

21. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

how much is training? and what kind is there?

22. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Depends on where you go, and there are ALL kinds of training. The best way to go is somewhere that will let you crosstrain. For example I train kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, boxing, and wrestling all at my gym. I pay $110 a month to go to as many classes as I can that are scheduled ("unlimited" training).

24. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I have Pride 1-18 + the GP on DVD and as many other fights as I can hold on my HD.

:)

25. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

djvash, who's your favourite fighter or favourite fight?

I like Belfort. Especially his knockout of Vanderali Silva in UFC. Though I doubt he could do so again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.