capacitor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noxxs, Apr 16, 2005.

1. noxxs

noxxs New Member

tonight, i was coming home from work, listening to my xm radio and i wanted to crank up the bass, so i turn it up...still not satisfied i turn the bass up higher to 4, then to max at 6. still nothing too strong, loud and sort of distorted, but not strong. so i almost max out the deck. alot of distortion all around and then the xm turns off. i try to turn it back on and it immediately turns off, do this 4 or 5 times while turning the volume down. finally get it back on and staying on, and the sub is gone. no bass. i have a 15" kicker comp and a 400wt lightning amp. so is the solution to my problem i need a capacitor??? :hs: and what kind, i'm up for suggestions

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

maybe your amp imploded, afterall it is a lightning

3. noxxs

noxxs New Member

it was the lightning after R-F bought them, it looks to be better quality, but still shitty?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

well it could be a number of things, you could get a capacitator and if that doesnt work then ur going to need to go down a check list

maybe something is mis wired

maybe your battery should be replaced

maybe your amp is fucked up

so on and so forth

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

your blew your amp because of the distortion. It had nothing to do with the quality of the amp (which is fairly poor, btw). Your turning up the bass even after distortion is what did it. You were most likely clipping your signal and causing your amp to do things it was never intended to do...

I'd say check your fuses and hope they went first. If they're all ok, it's time to buy a new amp and hopefully learn a lesson about what you can and can't do with your system.

6. noxxs

noxxs New Member

so any suggestions on what amp i should get if i were to get a new one?

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If it was distorting, then it was clipping, as clipping is the definition of distortion really.

8. 04

04 Guest

Clipping and or distortion will not kill an amplifier. Clipping WILL in most cases increase the duty cycle and the amount of constant power the amplifier puts out. This will increase the amount of heat produced, which could destroy electronic parts.

Clipping is harmonic distortion. To say that an amplifier isnt intended to clip makes it sound like it cant accept high levels of harmonic distortion, or put them out without breaking, which isnt true.

9. 04

04 Guest

A capacitor wont fix that kind of problem.

Is your subwoofer still not functioning? Also is the XM unit built in to the headunit, or seperate?

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I bet its a blown fuse.

11. noxxs

noxxs New Member

separate, its got an radio transmitter as a connection. so i the only reason i can think of that would make it shut off is the battery running out. i've had to replace the battery before because of the sub draining it. it was a bitch. thats why i thought a cap would help. i checked the main fuse and it wasnt blown, so do you think that means my amp shitted out?? i dont know this stuff too well.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

13. 04

04 Guest

Well the capacitor is another load on the electrical system. It can help aleviate some of the high current peaks drawn by an amplifier, but that power still has to come from somewhere, the battery and/or alternator.

The last time you had to replace the battery, were you playing the stereo with the car off? If not, and the only time you play the stereo is with the car on, I'd guess the alternator is not powerfull enought (which must mean its very small) or its broken.

That is, of course assuming that you know for sure that the stereo system is what's causing the problem. Is it possible anything else in your car could be causing this?

14. noxxs

noxxs New Member

more than likely not, the interior lights dim a little when hitting peaks in the bass, and when i had to replace the battery, i was really pushing the system, and then turned the car off immediately not giving the alternator enough time to do its job. i always thought that it was the problem, i've just never really addressed it.

i really have nothing esle wired up to the batter...actually, i have no idea how the xm is wired, i really didnt pay attention during installation. all i know is, that when i turn the car on, i have to power on the xm, and when i turn the car off i have to power the xm off. the only time the xm turns off on its own, is when it is already on and i turn the car on. it strange and i dont know why it does it like that, i just dont question it. so any verdicts?

edit: this is the sub: http://www.gotcmt.com/eshop/catalog/287.htm
    this is the amp: http://www.mmxpress.com/lightning/s4300.htm

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i wouldnt give that sub anything close to 500 watts.

16. 04

04 Guest

Minor dimming usually isnt a problem. A capacitor could help fix that problem, but not help prevent your battery from dying.

Why werent you able to recharge the battery if it died though? I would agree that if you're playing your music full blast right until you turn the car off, that could cause the car's battery to completely drain, but even then I'd be surprised that your car's alternator could not support an amplifier that draws as little current as yours. Have you had a mechanic look at your cars electrical system or anything?

It sounds like the installer wired the xm unit to a source of constant battery power, so that it will run even if the car is off, right?

It could also be that your amplifier is drawing so much current that it creates such a large voltage drop on your electrical system that the xm unit turns off.

17. 04

04 Guest

According to the link he posted, the amp only puts out around 270 watts on the rear 2 channels if bridged mono.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

didnt see that link until after he edited, i was just going by earlier:

"400wt lightning amp"

19. noxxs

noxxs New Member

so any conclusions as to what actions, or direction to start in, that i should take to correct this problem?