can't view certain pics after reformat?????

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xeryus, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

Hey all, ive got a weird problem with my system, that ive never seen before.

I recently wanted to redo my system, so i transfered all my data, audio, video, and images to my secondary HD. Then i took that HD out of the comp and proceeded to format and reinstall XP on my primary HD. I plugged the secondary HD back in and set everything up like i wanted it. Everything works great except that i cant view some pictures.

Ill double click the pic and Windows Picture Viewer opens. "Generating preview" shows up briefly, and then "No preview available."

I dont understand why; this has never happened before. Ive done this "fresh install" process before and never had this problem.

Any ideas???

2. matale

matale OT Supporter

is it a particular type of pictures u cant view? try opening them with a different program, to make sure they r not corrupt

3. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

no progress. Tried to open in Paint as well as in IE. Paint wont even open a window, an IE opens with a red X in a box. Its weird cause the files have the correct sizes, so they should be there.....

4. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

Try Clearing Startup Items, there is something Messing with the file that is opening the pictures.

5. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

maybe the files got corrupted during the transfer. i've had things like that happen to be before. turned out the harddrive i was using to backup my stuff was on its way out.

6. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Keepin L's lit

goto cnet.com and download irfanview and then resave them correctly. worked for me.

7. Xeryus

Xeryus New Member

i tried irfanview. it didnt work. it said "no preview possible" and "unknown file format." which doesnt make sense b/c Windows can see that its a .jpg