Can't Understand Why The DVD Player Won't Work...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TrevorK, Dec 15, 2002.

1. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

OK, I got a new DVD player (Toshiba SD1800) to use on my 3 year old (Might be 5 actually) RCA 27" TV. I also have a VCR and dig. cable box hooked up (If that'll matter).

The RCA TV has something on the back labelled 'S Video In', so I assumed I had S Video inputs on the TV and my DVD Player would work.

What I did was (Following the instructions I thought) hooked up the S Video cable to the TV and DVD player. Then, I hooked up the cable (It said to hook up the red/white and leave yellow off since I was using S Video) to the L/R audio inputs on the TV.

The DVD player must work (I see it play) but I see NOTHING from the DVD on the screen, just the normal TV output. Is there a way to switch from TV to DVD that I don't know (Kindof like how you have the 'TV/VCR' button) of?

I bought a cheap S Video cable (Labelled S VHS but the box says it does the same thing, and so did the salesguy) because my TV isn't the greatest, so I figured why waste $40 on a cable and spent $10.

What could I be doing wrong?

2. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

hmm...maybe your tv can only accept a certain amount of inputs. Meaning that if you have the compositie input (yellow) plugged in it overrides the svideo input. Try unplugging the other yellow video cables and see if you get a picture. Another thing you might check is if your tv has assingments for each input. Maybe in the menu section you can designate what svideo vs. composite for certain inputs. That's how it is on my old Sony.

Also if you have a progressive scan dvd player make sure that function is off since you won't get progressive from svideo.

Just some things to try.

Andy

3. Biohazard

Biohazard Guest

alot of TVs have aux inputs for like the composite. usually (as I have seen over time), TVs equipped with SVideo inputs have another input option for just S-Video. You should have an input button or something like it to change between those....or it might be an actual channel - like if you go to 2 and just keep going down.....it might show up that way.

4. Kent

Kent Guest

Is there a VIDEO or INPUT button on the remote?

Also, check the manual. My last TV (a circa 1992 27" JVC -- still works great, although my parents use it now) had an S-video input and a composite/RCA video input. Now, any normal person would think that means that you could plug in an RCA jack and an S-video jack and switch between the two inputs. Unfortunately, when I read the manual, I found out that you could only use the composite video plug *OR* the s-video plug for the video input. You couldn't switch between them.

Maybe you should step back and try things one at a time to make sure the DVD player is OK.

1. Unhook everything but the DVD player and try it in the s-video slot. See if that works.
    2. Also, with everything unplugged, try the DVD player in the composite video plug and see if that works.

If it works without everything else, you're running into a problem with something else. Try adding things one at a time.

The cheap cable should be fine, by the way. No need to spend $40 on an s-video cable in my opinion.

5. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

My remote has something labelled 'WHO' and when I pressed it the DVD player came on.

Thanks for the help guys!

6. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

A little late with the response here but ...

My player has a switch on the back as to what format you're outputting ---- if you're using 'S-video' and it's set to RCA you get no picture

In my case it was the opposite --- RCA and it was set to S-video