SRS Can't survive much longer with the way things are going

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RX8Shinka, Mar 22, 2007.

1. RX8Shinka

RX8Shinka New Member

I'm currently in college (at the ripe old age of 28) trying to get my Associate's Degree in Human Services. It's taken me a bit longer than most my age because I've been caring for my mentally ill mother and elderly grandmother. I am supposed to graduate next spring.

Financially, my family isn't doing well at all. Bank accounts are bounced and we are at our wits end. We've even resorted to selling old coins and such to buy bread. I have some money saved up but it's not much and it's to pay for gas and car insurance.

Right now I am technically "employed" but haven't worked at this job since October (it's a seasonal gig). I usually pick up my work again back in January but we have new management and my hours have been cut. I do love this job but I cannot survive there. My hours will pick back up in mid-May but that is way to long to go without pay.

Last week, I got this job offer from an insurance company making $27,000. per year. This is more money than I have ever dreamed. They provide training for the first six weeks of which begins on Monday. I said "yes" to this job. Only problem is I would have to quit college because this job would be full time. And I'm not sure if I want to do that. What if I don't like it? It's in a Customer Service Call Center.

I am so scared to quit school, only to end up quiting this job weeks later. I think I'll like it, but I've never done it before. I really cannot survive financially much longer. Please help.

2. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

um, take the job, and take night/weekend/online courses

3. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Take the job, but finish the semester. You can always take online courses, as well as night and weekend courses. There's many ways today that working adults can continue their education.

4. RX8Shinka

RX8Shinka New Member

This job would require me to withdraw from school. The training is from 10am-7pm and my classes are 12pm-1:30pm and then 6pm-9pm. No way I could do both.

5. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

It sounds like, right now, the finances are the bigger crisis, so if I were you, I would take the job. School is something you can always work back in to your schedule at some point, especially with online/night/weekend classes. Do they offer a later shift? I go to school full time from 10-2 or 12:30-3 and work from 3:30-Midnight or 5:00-Midnight. I'm lucky enough that my boss let me work out my schedule to come in later (I just don't take lunches those days).

6. MementoVivre

MementoVivre like the cat...

You need the money. You're going to end up dropping out of school anyway if things keep up this way, trust me my mom did that...take the job, give it your all - save as much as you can, even if it's $1000 and go back to school later. Remember - you're NOT dropping out...you're doing what you need to do and putting college on hold for a little while till you're life is more stable.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Talk to the school about it. They might be able to help you out. Make an appointment with your advisor or with someone in your department of study and ask them about it. See what they can help you with. I'm sure they have a lot more knowledge and experience with this sort of situation than many of us have.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Survival comes first, you cannot build a house if their isn't any fundament supporting it from underneath. You need a fundament to stand on, financially your situation will improve as a result of it, and if you ever get the time again, maby in the weekends finish the course.