Can't Start Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Oct 24, 2006.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've been getting errors from Windows MCE saying it has not been able to update the program guide. I have also been having problems updating my Windows Defender definitions. I found out that the BITS service is not running and I get an error saying it could not be started when I try to manually start it.

I pretty much read through this but with no luck.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_21446979.html

Anyone??

2. AO

AO New Member

Did you first try starting the Windows Installer Service? (Just scroll down on the services list). You may also need to update your Windows Installer service. (I tend to think that it is not a BITS problem because I can update my anti-virus definitions.)

Me, I have turned off my Automatic Update service so BITS is uselss to me.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Nope, no luck...

Now that you mention it, Symantec Antivirus hasn't updated since 10/6. I just did a manual update and that went through fine. I get the yellow shield down by the clock for Windows Update, but it's always stuck at 0% downloading updates. The only other thing that wont work is updating my MCE channel guide which is why I made this thread in the first place.

I read through a thread where someone called Microsoft about it. They weren't able to help, so they refunded his money.

Oh well... Not the end of the world...

4. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

Usually when I have a problem with Windows Installer I manually download the latest version and install it.

I agree in that it's not a problem with BITS, but you can use the Services snap-in to see what dependencies BITS has, and most assuredly your problem lies there.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

My problem is BITS beacuse it is needed to update my program guide data.

On my machine, BITS is dependant on Remote Procedure Call (RPC) which is running.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If you look in the event log after you try to start it there should be some more info on the exact error it's throwing when it tanks. Can you post that info?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Source: Media Center Guide
    Event ID: 3

Event Info: Error attempting to start the Guide download process. The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) must be installed. See Help and Support Center for more information.
    Process: DefaultDomain
    Object Name: Microsoft.Ehome.Epg.Ehepgdat

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

8. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Doesn't work since I have SP2.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

There should be an entry for when the BITs service tries and fails to start (seperate from the one for the channel guide). It (hopefully) has an error code in it. It should be in system and the source will probably be Service Control Manager.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Event ID: 7024

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147942402 (0x80070002).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

According to sesarching google, it is not a specific error. I found a few things to try but nothing worked.

It's all going down-hill from here. I got a blue-screen last night and some other programs aren't working anymore. I think it's time for a format.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Did you try this already?

Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147024894. (0x80070002)

If you receive this error message, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
    3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
    b. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.

4.Quit Registry Editor.
    5.Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    6.Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    7.In the General tab, click Start.

But yea, if you are getting BSODs and other stuff is breaking, probably time to reinstall.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thank You!! :bowdown:

The BackupRestore key was damaged, so I recreated it and then had to create the FilesNotToBackup key and it worked.

The MCE guide updated fine and so did my Windows Defender definitions.

Thanks a lot.