SRS Can't sleep at night anymore

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rodthrower18, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I've always had problems sleeping but now with things being the way they are with my grandfather(can walk unassisted for the last month or so) I wake up with any bump in the night bc im scared that somethin has happened to him whilst tryin to go to the bathroom. It's hard to deal with, im sleeping in classes and not wakin up from "naps" in the library and missin class more and more. Im not one of those ppl that can wake up and go right back to sleep it takes some time, and postin on here probably isnt helpin. I dont even know if this belongs in the asylum or not. Im gonna try to sleep now. :hsd:

2. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

i was just about to post something about insomnia when i came across your thread. i've had trouble sleeping lately myself. good luck to you.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ugh...I HATE insomnia but I suffer from it also.

One thing I have found is sometimes I just have to accept that my body and/or mind isn't ready to rest and just go with the flow. I just stay up and do things I wouldn't normally do like clean or play games or w/e. I try to take 20 - 30 minute naps whenever I get really sleepy but otherwise just go about my day. Then try again the next night.

There's something interesting about giving myself permission to pull an all nighter....I often am able to function the next day very well and then get right back into a nice sleep/wake pattern after a few days.

4. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

how much sleep do you usually get? last week i had nights where i only got about 10 minutes of sleep.

5. Coottie

Usually??? Well that all depends. If I'm going through bad insomnia, I'll sleep about 10 hours one night and only 30 mins. I seem to alternate like that.

Other times there will be days and days with very little sleep, maybe 10-30 mins at a time but like 10 naps a day.

I try to get 3 hours to be fully functional but sometimes I only get like 30 mins, sometimes none at all.

I've found the best way to keep from having insomnia tho is to get into a regular sleep wake cycle...where I go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every day. When I'm in that routine, I rarely have insomnia.

6. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Cootie im a lot like you except when I finally do pass out its in the middle of the day and it will always last longer than I need(like an hr or two) and i'll miss a class or sumthin(happened today actually). I mean i know i NEED the sleep but i sleep so heavily that it becomes an inconvinience.

7. Coottie

I hear ya....I've done the same. I try to sleep during the day with either the TV on and the volume up or set my alarm. If it's a 20-30 minute nap tho, I just go for the alarm and sleep in my Lazy-Boy recliner.

8. *lola*

*lola* New Member

The hours of sleep that your body need, vary from individual to individual, some for example, only need 4 - 6 hours, some need 8 - 9 on average.
    However, the imbalance happens when something does disturb or deprive your sleep and you lose time in slumberland, as I had read, the hours you need for sleep are very much like a savings account, if you make a withdrawal, your balance is less, until you deposit that amount back in again.
    Hence why I notice, if one of my adult kids stays out all night and comes home in the wee hours, gets the 'missed' out sleep all the next following day (and I have to tipee toe around the place:rolleyes: )

I can recall having had sleep deprivation when I had a toddler and a new born baby.
    Getting up at all hours of the night, for the baby, and then because of the new born, the toddler was waking up a couple of times in the night also for comfort...after a few months of this, I felt like a zombie and that I needed rest badly. I actually suffered post natal depression for about 3 years from that lack of rest and sleep deprivation. I can look back and see it all now.

My O/H is having sleep problems, and has had for a number of years now, although he falls asleep okay, he wakes up in the middle of the night, say about 2 am and stays awake until about 5 am. He gets up, makes a milk drink and then watches TV with earphones until he finally slumbers off. He wakes up 7 am and complains of tiredness, and yes, he is very grumbly.
    Apart from a script for sleep tabs which we don't think is a good idea due to the dependancy it may cause, it seems to have become such a habit to wake up, that now his mind has adapted to that (bad) pattern, and it is damned hard to break.

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

try getting a routine, i used to be the same way. get up early, shower by a certain time, eat by a certain time.

make yourself only 3 specific things like that to accomplish each day by a certain time, you'd be amazed how your clock resets itself

10. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

There are for me countless times at night, as I lay in my bed intent on sleeping away the days' exertions, that I find that my mind feverishly spins uncontrollably with reckless abandon, riddled with endless thought, unstoppable, robbing me of the sleep my body so desperately aches for.

Reluctantly, it is at these times that I find that I am capable of great thought, intuition and idea, the fruition of which I work to deny not so much out of fear of who may be listening, but rather out of fear for what manner the idle ramblings of my mind may be put to use.

Alas, another day has passed and the night finds me again..., I fear what dreams may come.

I give this not as a request for advice or help, rather as a confession of a malady I am plagued with..., I am, afterall, only human and it is, through my own troubles with insomnia, that I am able to understand and relate to yours.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006