cant sign on any messenger program

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quickone, Jan 10, 2005.

1. quickone

quickone New Member

everything worked fine till I tried to sign onto yahoo messenger...now msn messenger signs on and freezes and aim freezes past the starting services...idk what to do. or what happened.

also is c:\program files\archive\archive.exe something I should be worried about? It was made 1/2/2005 on my comp

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you have antivirus? If so, update it and run it. If it's norton, get rid of it in favor of something that works -- such as AVG. If you don't have antivirus, go in the corner and cry like a little girl.

3. quickone

quickone New Member

I do have antivirus and I have norton...is avg better? i dont know what would cause only msn messenger, aim and yahoo messenger to stop working. I still have internet access

BTW: Has anyone ever heard of c:\programfiles\archive\archive.exe Supposedly is a hidden folder...it was created jan 2nd on my pc. no idea what it is. I ran spyinfo and it has no info on it.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, I think avg is MUCH better than norton. I have had it catch many things that norton misses.

archive\archive.exe doesn't sound like it should be there.

5. quickone

quickone New Member

no it doesnt...its only 24kb in size and it looked suspicious....ran in my background as well...I deleted it but it didnt seem to help with my messenger problem. I downloaded avg. Also I have been looking for a software firewall...is sygate pretty good? I had zonealarm but someone told me they are garbage.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sp2 has a good firewall in it.

7. quickone

quickone New Member

my friend got sp2 and it basically acted like a virus and made everything shut down on his pc...even tho chances of that are unlikely, i'd rather not.

8. quickone

quickone New Member

Ok I got avg and scanned my whole pc and no viruses...I also scanned with norton before i uninstalled it. I scanned my pc with 3 different spyware programs as well as using window washer and ashampoo winoptmizer to get rid of junk files. I still cannot sign onto yahoo, msn, or aim messenger. Is there a setting or anything else that will cause this? Another thing is IE opens up but then freezes and I must shut it down. Firefox works fine tho. Can anyone help? any ideas?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

every time you start a thread you find some new and idiotic statement that you can make that completely rocks my world with laughter. :rofl: thank you. thank you so much for making my day worth living now, as I know I will cheer the next person I see with a story of this amazing discovery you have found :bowdown: