SRS Can't settle on a career path

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by epitaph, Sep 6, 2008.

1. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

Anyone else who can't make up their mind about a career path? Not so much feeling lost without any idea at all. Rather you have a bunch of different things bouncing around in your head and you can't narrow it down and focus on one?

I feel I have a lot to offer employers. Unfortunately without a piece of paper in the field, or a couple years work experience, it doesn't matter what you think you can offer anyone. I feel that I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and because of that I can't focus on one thing to become great at and make a career out of it.

I have a BA in Journalism which I consider to be fairly useless. My "concentration" was multimedia/design and I know I don't want that. I bounce between careers in the environment, IT, industrial or sports photography (currently I am a product photographer for Newegg), becoming an electrician. I even think about careers with animals or pets. I love dogs. I dislike most people. :o

Before I get too verbose I'll end it here. Just wondering if anyone can relate or help. I know I have potential. I just don't know how what to do in choosing something and focusing on it. I fear that I'll change my mind after working towards it and having to start over AGAIN. Much like I am now after just picking that major because it was junior year and I still hadn't made up my mind.

I know the most obvious answer is just pick one and DO IT. I wish it were that easy. Not sure if any help can be had but thanks for reading anyway. :hs:

2. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

REad:

"Your Personal Rennassaince" by Diane Dreher

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Look i'll narrow it down, in materialistical life its only about one thing: Money.

SO whatever job gives you the most money = the desired job.

The main goal = money.
    Once you have achieved that you can outline the rest of your life.
    Secondary goal = a nice job. A job were you feel at home.
    Third = house,car,wife.

Basically the first two goals are fixed, the third you can fill in for yourself, but the 'type of job' is nothing more then a nametag, and you shouldn't let those confuse you, just go for the job that gives the most cash.

4. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

This is bad advice.

I have acheived every goal on your "list" and I hate my job and the fact that I hate my job has affected other areas of my life in the past.

5. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Your number 1 goal should be a mixture of fulfillment and something that pays the bills.

You gotta have both and you can't stop working until you acheive both.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I was the same way. I had many, many interests. The difficulty is differentiating between the different levels of interest. Some things will be just shallow interests like you want to know how something works or how a certain process works but you don't want to spend you life in that environment. Other things you will have a much deeper interest and actually "want to know everything about".

It's this second group that I would suggest you focus on because these things are what till help you find a career that is both challenging and rewarding. It's not easy and you may make several changes along the way.

The really important thing is to keep working while you're figuring it all out. So often people won't do anything because they don't have a clear and unambiguous idea of what they want to do when they would be better served by just doing something.

For books....check out
    What Color is your Parachute
    and
    Zen: And the Art of Making a Living

Both of those books helped me when I was really struggling. Good luck.

7. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I often say to myself, "okay, I really like this but I can't see myself doing it every day of my life." In fact, that's the case for most things.

In other cases, I think even OT itself has ruined how I perceive a particular profession would be. IT is an excellent example. :hs:

I'll check out those books. My girlfriend has read What Color is Your Parachute. I'm surprised she hasn't lent it to me yet.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its not bad advice.

You are first laying down the essensial foundation for your life. You need something that generates the energy/money to do so.

Even if you 'hate' the job, the income gained will generate the ability to lay down the essensial foundation that is necessary to sustain your life.

This is a primairy goal. (aka if you are jobless and without money, you go for the cash and not 'how much you like a job')

And I haven't said that in such a situation the person needs to keep that job forever, i said secondary that the outlining of their lives they could find a 'nice job', but that isn't a primairy goal, getting cash in the first place is essensial.

You can't base your life on 'thin air', i know that there's more to life then money, but money is important.

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I don't really want to get into a debate with you about this. I'm just saying that I chose my career based off your standards exactly and I ended up "trapped" in a job that I am miserable with.

Money is not as important as people think it is. Most of the time, you find a way to meet the bills based on whatever income you make. If you are a Janitor, your lifestyle will change so that you can live off a Janitor's income. If you are a CEO of a mutli-national corporation, your lifestyle will be suited to that.

The NUMBER ONE criteria for working a job (to a man) is fulfillment and doing something that makes you happy.

The thing people don't realize about this is, that there is more than one thing that can potentially make them happy.

For instance, my dream has always been to be a published writer. And right now I am working tirelessly to that end to meet that goal. But if I quit my job today to write full time, I would be a penniless pauper eating ramen noodles for a long time. BUT, writing isn't the only thing that would make me happy. I have interests in teaching, in counselling, and working with children. Any one of those career paths would bring fullfilment to me and had I chosen one of those in school (instead of Engineering), I have no doubt that I would be fairly happy with my career, even if they aren't my first choice (which is writing). And any one of those jobs would provide me with enough money to live on, I am sure. I wouldn't be making as much as I do as an Engineer (which by your criteria is the right career for me), but I would be making enough to live comfortably.

Which is why I suggest a dual criteria: Figure out what you truly LOVE and decide what it would take to make a career out of it. If it's something that won't pay the bills right away until you make success (such as my writing career), then choose a secondary career that would make you happy enough and still pay the bills while working towards your first goal (such as my wanting to teach, counsel/psychology) until you find success in your first goal.

You can't just pick a career path based on the money alone, or you are likely to find yourself in my situation--feeling trapped in a job that you can't stand that brings in so much money that it's hard to walk away from because there is nothing else in my area that pays as well as what I am doing now. You can't even make money your top priority for the same reason. You have to find a mix of both something that is fullfilling to you and something that pays the bills.

My suggestion is that you have a handful of careers that would make you happy. Chose the one that will bring you the money while you are furthering yourself to live off of your first choice.