Can't reconnect to network printer after logging off and back on?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by driftwell, Apr 26, 2006.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

This is driving me nuts...

Any new user I create and add into our domain can't connect to a network printer if they log off and back on.

Printer server is a NT 4.0 box (i know i know i need to get rid of it) and when i set up the users... I just connect to the print server, it'll have me enter admin/pw info to be able to connect to it, then I look for the shared printer, and right-click "connect".

Works fine until they log off and back on.

This use to work fine in the past.

It seems like a user rights/policy problem but I have no clue where to start.

Anyone?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Log in as one of the new users and try to connect to the printer using their login/password. If you can connect to it, it's most likely a permission problem.

What permissions did you set on the printer?

How exactly is the printer connected to the network? (Shared on the NT box?)

3. driftwell

driftwell New Member

yes the printers are shared on the NT box... they (printers) all include the "everyone" object in the security so everyone should be able to access it.

i just tried what you said... i logged a user off and back on (sure enough they couldn't connect)

so i went to the print server and it asks me for a user/PW ... i used that new user and couldn't connect. I used a different user (non-admin) and was able to view the print server (and obviously connect to a printer afterwards)

so if that's the case.... where do I set the permissions for the shares on the print server?