Cant ping Winodws machine from Unix by name

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by morecomplete, Feb 14, 2003.

1. morecomplete

morecomplete Guest

Cant ping Winodws machine from Unix Box by name. The Windows machine is DHCP and on a NT Server network.

All the other machines on the network respond to pinging from a Nix box no problem. So what's wrong with this one?

I've checked the DNS settings and everything looks ok so I'm not sure what to check next.

I could just make it static but I shouldn't have to and don't want to.

Ideas?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Which machine is the new machine? The windows machine or unix machine?

Can you ping by ip address? If not, is the interface up. Is the ip, netmask correct? If on different segments, is the default or static route specified?

Can you nslookup the windows machine?

What flavor of unix is this? Assuming solaris, is the /etc/resolv.conf pointing to the correct ip of the dns server and searching for the correct dns suffixes? Does the /etc/nsswitch.conf use files and dns to search for hosts?

Can the UNIX machine see other machines on the network by name?

-crontab -l

3. morecomplete

morecomplete Guest

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I don't use UNIX, but simply put, if it can't resolve the computer name, it has nothing to do with the target computer unless it's not registering its name properly with the DNS server. If a windows computer can ping it, it may simply be able to so because it doesn't have to look at the DNS for the lookup (NetBIOS). So that's where I would start, look in the target computer settings and make sure it's registering with the DNS server.

5. morecomplete

morecomplete Guest

yes, the Windows machine is not registering with the DNS server.
    As a work around I manualy entered it into DNS with the IP. Even with DHCP the IP address seems to stay the same so hopefully it will last. My only concern is if the IP changes or if it decides to register properly it will create a duplicate. I guess I'll wait and see and post the results. Thanks!

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well you should be able to register the W2K machine properly with the DNS server - I mean try going into the W2K TCP/IP settings of the adapter, advances, DNS settings and ensure the checkmark beside register this connection with DNS is checked.

Failing that, you should be able to assign a computer a specific IP address within DHCP as well so there's no chance of it changing. I'm not sure what DHCP server you are using so you'll have to figure out how to do that yourself (often called reservations).