SRS Can't make friends

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LisaR, May 8, 2005.

1. LisaR

LisaR Awaiting Approval

Ever since I've moved from NY to CA, I can't seem to make any new friends. The only friends I have are aquantences from work. Sometimes we hang out outside of work but it's usually something like everyone going to a party. I'm not close to anyone and it's starting to depress me since I've lived here for 5 years. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. spooled2.2

spooled2.2 OT Supporter

What are your interests/hobbies???? Join some local clubs/organizations that cater to your interests or join a gym, something like that.

3. LisaR

LisaR Awaiting Approval

I go to a gym but nobody ever talks to me there. There's people that stare but they don't talk to me. I like hiking, camping, outdoorsy stuff, but most girls aren't into that kind of stuff.

4. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

i bet theres a sierra club chapter somewhere near you, join and see if you meet some cool people.

5. Braddlac

Braddlac OT Supporter

you'll probably only meet guys there, but most guys have some female friends with the same interests.

6. Sotangledup

Sotangledup Guest

I know your problem It depens on where you live. A lot of areas people think its weird if you stare at them or randomly talk to them. Also it depends on how confident you are about yourself. The user in post #2 has a good solution but it only works if you are not shy. It's hard but I think the best solution as someone already mentioned its joining groups or something along those lines. I guarentee you a lot of the people won't care to be friends with you but you'll find atleast one good one that will :)

If you ever want to talk , pm me or im me : poke me bunny

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You need to let it go a and be a little bit more loose. Go out to the local cafe / bar / disco, have fun and meet people. There's loads of people there who are interested in meeting you.

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I bolded that part since I was going to type it anyways.

As a former NYC resident now in SoCal, I know how hard it can be to meet people out here, I find it particularly weird if I get approached by random people at bars/whatever.... but the idea of joining interest groups like outdoors stuff is a smart way to go about it.

CA people are generally not receptive to 'outsiders' (I just love how that sounds) but if you find people with similar interests, there you go.

Consider taking some classes as well at the JC, esp. to meet girls...

9. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

a lot of people think i'm :ugh: for saying this, but i believe it to be true. :) the coastal areas aren't very warm, it's as simple as that. it's hard to warm up to people and get them to be comfortable with talking to you. it's weird...some friends of mine here have actually laughed or looked at me funny when i smile at people i don't know. :dunno: i get the questions "do you know them?" well...no. "alright, so why are you smiling at them?" good lord. since when did people become so mean?

i grew up in the midwest, and moved to orlando, florida 3 years ago. it's a very different atmosphere. many wouldn't understand unless they've lived it. how do you deal with it? you just have to be confident in yourself and comfortable in your shoes. don't be worried about what other people think of you. (that was easy for me because i was never afraid to be on my own and do my own thing...) in my 20 years in omaha, i had never had a problem making friends. people would always initiate contact with me, but after moving, i found myself making all the moves. don't let it scare you. be bold and stand out there!

one thing i will tell you, though. do not change your beliefs, morals, etc... in order to have what you think are friends. a good friend of mine moved to socal, and when i went to visit her, i found that she had joined a drug crowd. :eek3:... this girl hardly drank. :(

the most important thing is to stay true to who you are! :)

10. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

hands up in the room that are shy!!

what is the cause?? what, too much time at the computer?? holy shit!!

maybe we had better get out there, take some risks and get a REAL LIFE!!

:big grin: