Can't log into my guest account on XP - same error every time :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

"explorer.exe - Application Error"
    "The application failed to initialize properly
    (0xc0000022). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Everytime I try and log into the guest account, I get a window that pops up with that. This started about 2 months ago, and since then, I've searched everywhere I can think of to find a solution. When I click OK, the screen goes a light blue, and if I alt+ctrl+dlt, I can see all the processes running, but they are all listed like "system.exe □□□□□□□ " (sorry, I wish I could get a screen shot of it, but it's not going to happen).

Anway, it's windows XP, SP1 installed, fully updated (this wasn't something that just suddenly happened after I updated one day, this just started happening out of nowhere). The 3 other accounts I have on the computer will all log on proper (they all have admin rights), it's just the guest account I am having a problem with.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated, as I am out of solutions. I ran a chkdsk /r yesterday, and that didn't change anything. I'm slowly losing my mind :hs:

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

have you tried disabling the guest account, rebooting, then re-enabling the guest account and rebooting again?

3. Blazed Monkey

yup, same thing happens

4. Blazed Monkey

[​IMG]
    The only application running is Irfanview (used it to take the screen). When I try to open explorer.exe from the taskman, I get the same error.

As far as spyware/virus prevention, I'm running:
    Norton Antivirus Corporate
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ad-Aware
    Spy Sweeper
    Zone Alarm Pro

All are the latest registered versions, and are updated weekly. I run a full scan every weekend with each program seperately, and haven't caught any spyware or anything on my PC for months.

Any ideas?

5. Blazed Monkey

Read the thread again bud, I'm logging into the windows guest account. The unicode is the fucked up stuff I was talking about in my initial post.

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    (note: random image taken from the web, not my logon, just used for illustration)

I have 4 logons on my PC. 3 of them are working perfectly fine: one is mine, one is for my mom, and one for my dad. All 3 of those have admin rights. The account I am having problems with is the guest account (the windows enabled guest account, not anything fancy). The screen I posted in my last post, I tried to logon to the guest account, I got the same error message that I always get (explorer.exe blah blah), I hit alt+ctrl+dlt to open the taskman, and took that screen shot. The unicode crap is what shows up since I've been having this issue. Instead of saying "Guest", it shows up with the little squares. Please re-read my first post.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How bout just creating another one?

7. Blazed Monkey

8. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I have this same issue on my Guest account. Oddly enough, it's the only account that does NOT have Administrator privileges. My wife's account was doing this until I gave her Admin rights.

9. Blazed Monkey

I've been searching the net ever since I first posted this over a month ago, and I have yet to find a solution :hs:

10. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I never bothered to look for a fix. I just disabled the guest account and told my wife not to make any changes to anything.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

My guess is simply that there's some program that runs that assumes you have admin rights and fucks up if you don't. Could be a real program, could be a trojan, whatever. The minute you give the guest account admin access, it will probably go away, if you remove admin access then, the problem will have either corrected itself or you'll have the same problem as you had before, but at least you'll know that it is because of admin rights and some program needing it, rather than the account itself being screwed up.

12. Blazed Monkey

well, I don't have to worry about it anymore. After updating to SP2 and completely fucking over every pertinent system device on my PC, I finally just formatted :hs: