Can't Kill the damn thing...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Phenostar, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Phenostar

Phenostar Guest

So I got this old (Mac) Powerbook 1400. Has a password when you start up that nobody knows. Don't ask me why, I just wanna see the poor thing work. So I tried a great number of things to get past the password to no avail. Buddy of mine suggested I demagnetize the ho. I pulled out the HD and put a 5" Rockford Fosgate speaker on top of it overnight. So I boot it up this morning and the focker still wants a password!:rant2:WTF?? Any suggestions?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i don't know shit about macs, but why don't you just format the drive and re-install the os? :dunno:

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The OS wants a password or the computer wants a password? If it's the latter, it's stored on a chip in the computer. Usually there's a procedure to zap two pins on desktops, not sure about laptops though

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

pulling out the bios battery for 1min might do it as well

5. Phenostar

Phenostar Guest

Well I have to get into the OS to format the drive, and the password pops up like 3 seconds after startup. The PRAM battery is basically what you're talking about, sled, and I can't find the damn thing... I've had the speaker sitting on top of the drive all day now, I might try pluggin it in, see if it's toast. Damn you'd think it'd be easier to fuck it up, right?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

A magnet is not going to wipe the chip though. The HD, from what you've told us now, has nothing to do with the password.

Does this help?
    or this:

http://www.warren.k12.ky.us/Tech Tip Web/pram.htm

7. Phenostar

Phenostar Guest

So here's what I tried today:
    Pulled out HD and booted onto system disc. Didn't do jack shit, but got past the password, so the Password has everything to do with the HD.
    The keyboard still doesn't work, it still asks for the password, so I think I'm just gonna drive my car over the HD and get a new one. Fuckin computer.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

There used to be a key combination on Macs that you press when booting up to "zap the p-ram". I forget what it is though :o

9. samm

samm Next in Line

command-option-p-r when you boot up zaps the PRAM. Boot onto the system disk and reinstall the MacOS if you can't get rid of the password by zapping the PRAM.