cant install programs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by My Dixie Wrecked, Nov 27, 2006.

1. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

So my 2nd drive died on me. I bought a new external drive and whenever I try to install programs that were on the dead drive (f:\) , errors pop up saying 'invalid drive f:\' and the install won't continue. WTF?

2. gn0sc3r3

gn0sc3r3 New Member

Dixie,

On your computer, did you remove the damaged drive f after it died. Also did you uninstall the device from your device manager in the control panel?

If the drive is bad and still connected your computer may still be trying to reference it as a primary drive and that error could halt your installations easily.

If you have not removed the device and need assistance, post your operating system and computer brand / model number and I can try to help you out.

If you have removed the device from the computer and uninstalled it through your device manager please post the type of external drive you bought with model number and how it connects to the computer as well as the computer model number and brand.

Thanks, and hope we can get this resolved for you asap.

-gn0sc3r3-

3. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

I have removed the HDD from the computer but didn't uninstall it. Currently, it doesn't show up in device manager. My computer was built for me by a friend. AMD Athlon XP cpu and Asus mobo running XP Home. Maxtor 1600JB External USB HDD

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Silly question; did you format the new HDD correctly?