Can't get wireless networking to work :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SQLee, Jul 19, 2004.

1. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

So I've been trying for almost two weeks to get this damn wireless crap to work, and it won't. I'm furious, so furious that I'm about to throw my PC out the damn window and finance a Mac, those things pick up any and every wireless connection with ease. ANYWAY, grr!! Sorry, I'm really mad. Okay, so I just moved into an apartment with a friend of mine, and when the cable guy came, he set up the modem in my friend's room, because at the time I hadn't gotten my computer in yet. Well he was supposed to hook up a connection for my room, but all he did was put a cable from the jack, there is no signal, period. So we put the wireless router in my friend's room, I got a wireless card, and yesterday I FINALLY got it to work, but now it won't work anymore. It can find the network, it even lists it, says (as of about 10 minutes ago) that it's signal strength is 67%. It'll get a connection, say "Excellent" or "Very Good" on signal strength, then it says it can't find a connection. Why won't this work? Somebody please help me before I go postal. And I'm not joking, I'm seriously furious.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

Can you ping the router? Usually the IP is 192.168.0.1

Sorry I can't help much, I have a Mac and I've never had much trouble with my wireless network.

3. SQLee

No, I tried that earlier. A Mac is starting to look more and more appealing :hs:

4. samm

samm Next in Line

iBook's are cheap now! :big grin:

5. SQLee

They're ridiculously expensive compared to free to keep my PC. :hs:

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't blame PCs because you have a crappy wifi card and/or don't know how to configure it.

7. SQLee

It won some sort of award in some magazine :dunno:

I'll admit, I've never dealt with wireless networking, but I do know about computers, so I'm not a clueless idiot over here. I do know this--any Mac equipped with their Airport and Bluetooth pick up any wireless signal, with ease. This that I'm going through is ridiculous. Not only have I followed the instructions step by step, I've even gone further than that and used my PC knowledge to try to fix the problem, and it's just not happening. Thanks. :fawk:

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah I fell for that "Editor's Choice" BS on the 1st access point I bought. D-Link POS. The first one I got kept droping the wired WAN link and had a wireless range of about 10'. Took it back and got another one that did the same thing. Swapped it for a different brand and the range still wasn't great, but it was at least 2-3x what the D-Link was getting.

What kind of access point and wifi card are you using? It can make a huge difference. Example: In one installation I saw, a Linksys USB NIC got 0-10% signal while a Fujitsu laptop with integrated wifi sitting a couple feet about got excellent signal off the same access point.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Before you decide to give up an get a MAC, go into the wireless properties of the network and the advanced tabs, make sure that the setting that says "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is UN-checked.

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If you are configuring the wireless connection using the software that came with your card then you may have a conflict with the Windows Service Wireless Configuration or Zero Wireless Configuration or something similiar. Windows will try to make your life "easier" and tear your little card's software apart.

Disable this service all together and try again.

I've seen this come into play in multiple instances.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

or

Right-Click My Computer -> Manage -> Services

11. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Also - Windows has an update for their Wireless Configuration service - if disabling doesn't work try downloading it at windowsupdate.microsoft.com. It's not a critical update - only a 'tool' or whatever it is they call it :)

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

^^ Good point.

If you are trying to use the wireless config utility that came with your NIC, scrap that and use Windows for it.