Can't get windows going on my new hard drive!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Teh0ni0n, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

So I got a new 250gb Seagate hard drive, I put it in the comp on it's on ide channel, set the pin to master, and made sure the cable was connected right. I instert the windows cd, partiton the drive, format and copy the setup files. When it goes to restart I get a nice: DISK BOOT FAILURE. No matter what i do I cannot get the setup to go past this point. The disk is fine, I know that for a fact! Any ideas? I tried the fixmbr command in the recovery console, no help. I've tried many cables and windows disks, with no change. I've got a abit nf7-s, 480w antec psu, etc etc. My system is totally stable, theres no issue there. Any ideas??

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

go into bios and set the boot order as:

cdrom
    hdd0
    floppy.

3. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

Cdrom is not supposed to go first! Hdd-0 should be first..

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OMFGLMFAO

and you wonder why YOU are having problems :rolleyes:

5. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

? What are you talking about? My boot order has always been hdd-0, cdrom, floppy. I change it to cdrom, hdd-0, floppy when i installed windows, then i changed it back when i was done? That's what i've always done.... (Hdd-0 is master hard drive, on the primary ide channel).

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try setting SCSI in the boot order, too.

7. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

I dont have a sata hard drive, so why would I put scsi in there?

8. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Sometimes SATA is implemented as a separate chip integrated on the motherboard, this looks to the BIOS just like a SCSI adapter or some other type of PCI drive controller. So you have to select SCSI, or for a lot of boards something like "Add-in card" so that it knows to go looking for something bootable out there on the PCI bus.

I think that on your board this doesn't apply though, the nForce MCP-T southbridge contains the SATA functions.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you partitioned the drive, you may not have made that partition active. That's your problem. If you've got all of the setup files on the disk then there's no reason to have the CD as the first choice.

And SCSI != SATA so I'm not sure why you mentioned them together.

10. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

Sorry wasn't clear, I know SCSI= SATA, Bad way of saything things. I know there's no reason to have the cd as the frist choice, just throwing around ideas. The partiton is obviousley active if it had formatted and copied files to it, I can even look at the files on it using the drive as a slave, and booting with my old 120. Grrrr, I think I had this problem before, I just can't remember how to fix it.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

No, that doesn't mean it's active at all. Active is the term used to identify which partition to boot from. It does NOT automatically happen depending on what tool you use.

12. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

So how would I "activate" it? Something in the boot.ini perhaps?

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Well one way is to use fdisk. Need to boot with a floppy or a cdrom with that on it.

14. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

The funny thing is, i've done this before with no problems, on my 120 gig. Went in just fine? Does the larger size have anything to do with it? I'm having trouble finding a boot cd image of fdisk (Don't wanna reinstall my floppy hehe), have any spare links?:bigthumb:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why are you not using the WinXP cd to format?

16. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

I am...

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then why are you talking about booting to use fdisk manually?

18. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

Because 5gen said I needed to "activate" my partiton with fdisk..

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm afraid you're wrong. If the CD doesn't boot first, then the computer will try to boot from the blank hard disk, which will cause it to hang. If the CD boots first, then the Windows install disc will start running properly. Then, when the CD drive is empty , or at least doesn't have a bootable disc in it, the computer will try to boot and move on to the now-usable hard disk automatically.

20. deusexaethera

Ignore the FDISK instructions. Just set the CD to boot before HDD-0, and boot from the Windows install disc. It will do all the formatting you need. The instructions that came with the new hard drive are for people who already have a functioning OS installed on their computer.

21. deusexaethera

That's a real helpful comment, dude. He asked for help, not for you to hassle him. Come to think of it, I don't think I've read a single post by you that hasn't involved cursing someone out or laughing at them. Grow up and/or stop polluting the on-topic forums with your garbage.

22. 5Gen_Prelude

You guys keep forgetting he already has the contents of the windows setup on the HD already. In other words, when you install XP, it copies everything to the HD and THEN restarts. If he's gotten to this stage, the HD should boot, but ONLY if the partition is active.

23. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

So I ran some software called "super fdisk" and it couldn't read my partiton table, and it said my mbr was damaged. But of coursed I have to buy the full version to fix it.. How could this drive get so fucked up when i just got it!!

24. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Grab the seatools CD iso from seagate, burn it onto cd. Boot to it, low level (write 0's) to your drive and run a full scan. If that comes out ok, then reload windows should work just fine.

25. Teh0ni0n

Teh0ni0n Guest

omg I started running a zero fill on my hard drive, its been three hours and its only at 15%!!! This was using the full fill option, not the quick one. Would it be ok to stop this and do the quick one instead? WIll it hurt anything?