Can't get this stupid winxp laptop inet working right

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atheist, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

Being a computer techie, I get a lot of accuantances and buddies asking me to work on their computers. I usually don't have time out of work but as a personal favor I agreed to fix a laptop having problems accessing the internet.

WinXP Home laptop, trying to connect to a network.

The problem I beleieve lies in its inability to update DNS information. I can input network settings myself, including IP, subnet, and gateway. I also input the DNS server to one that I know works (same one I have set on my working box). I can ping the router by IP, and I can ping google by IP. However, I CAN NOT ping google.com, it can't find it.

I tried to winxp network setup wizard, and with that, I cant even ping my router or google by IP. I tried repairing the connection with winXP, but it said it can not as there is a problem resolving domain name information, or something like that. I have also tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew for the adapter, but to no avail. Also tried removing the adapter and readding it. I have even tried ipconfig /flushdns. Nothing works!

Anyone got any other suggestions? Formating IS NOT AN OPTION. Can't even reinstall win over win. Please, do not suggest that.

Thanks!

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

What happens when you set it to grab DHCP info automatically? Is it issued a proper address or does it revert to its internally-assigned IP address (169.x)?

3. Atheist

If I have it use DHCP for IP info, it does not work to ping the router or google by IP, even if I set the DNS to the proper address... hmm...

4. Atheist