Can't get this router to work.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jas0n, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

So I've got this router that I want to hook up. Now ... as far as I know, this stuff SHOULD pretty much be plug-and-play. In the past, if I recall, setting up routers has been about as difficult as getting the wires organized and then powering up in the right order. But now I can't get it, and I've tried two different routers, so I think it's my fault that it isn't working.

I've got some strange modem that came from the ISP. It's not a name-brand unit, I'm pretty sure, but it works absolutely fine without a router as far as I can tell so there's no complaints that I have with it. I can even plug into it on the fly, so to speak, and it'll recognize the connection (rather than making me restart every time I plug something new in).

My router is a Linksys wireless unit -- of course I'm trying to plug in hard-wired -- "instant wireless series." I got these routers from the g/f's parents, who have a business and thus have some spare routers laying around ... so what I don't have is a CD for the router. Should I need one though? Like I said, I really thought this would just be a plug in and go kinda deal. But it hasn't been.

So... in other words... for some reason I'm lost. Can anyone give me a brief EDU on how to go from this:

PC -> modem

to this:

PC -> router -> modem

...and actually be able to, yanno, get online and whatnot? Thanks for your help.

2. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Hook up the router to the ethernet port on the modem.

You should need a CD to set up the network, unless it was already used and the network has been created. In that case, you need to type the address (192.168.1.1 is default for Linksys routers) into you web browser to access the router's internal settings. If they changed the password, then you're gonna have problems, but the default password is "admin" with no username.

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Right. Found a CD, ran the program, power cycled and now it's working -- but it seems much slower than it did when it was just PC -> modem. Is this something that'll get worked out in time or some such? Also, thanks for the good word, finding a CD and all ... I guess I didn't realize the importance of those things.