can't get the Impala to start

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ratstink, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Ratstink

Ratstink Ink & Iron

69 Impala Sports Coupe
    396ci 4bbl auto transmission
    Ignition system upgraded to electronic (same system in a 77 chevy I think - coil-in-cap and what not)

not even sure if this is the right forum - but I'm sure some fellow OT'er will graciously point it out if it is not.

I pulled out of my driveway and she must have been a little cold because as soon as I gave her some gas I heard a backfire (carb backfire?). Then she died. I checked my fuel pump (gas pumping out fine between the filter and carb) and even poured some gas in the carb, no dice. So I thought, I'm getting fuel maybe I'm not getting fire? I then replaced the plugs, plug wires, rotor, dist cap and coil (I learned I can check for spark by pulling a plug wire and holding a screwdriver up to it after the fact :o ).

A buddy of mine said the timing might have gotten screwed up when it backfired, enough to keep it from starting. The other thing I've been told as a possibility is the module underneath the rotor may be shot - but not likely because they tend to run 300k miles before they go out and my car isn't anywhere near that. So I thought I would come here and ask before I called up a tow truck and have the timing reset at a shop.

My car knowledge is very limited so any suggestions on what else could be wrong would be much appreciated.

CLIFFS: ran car cold, backfired. car died. now car won't start. got fuel. got fire. wtf

2. synthemesc

synthemesc :06: lurking until :shitty07:

Accelerator pump? choke adjustment correct?

Timing? did you try turning the distributor clockwise or counter-clockwise?

There are a multitude of simple things that could cause this problem. It can be hard to accurately diagnose and offer a solution over the internet without more details. Being that you just changed components in the ignition system, I would thouroughly check there before messing with the carb.

3. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I second double checking the ignition system, including going over the system with a multimeter to make sure you have no shorts. However I'm going to take a guess that when you backfired, you also screwed up the carb, and now it might actualy be flooding/starving the engine, preventing you from starting. Hollys are particularly notorious for this.

4. Ratstink

Ratstink Ink & Iron

Thanks for the responses guys

still working on it...