SRS Can't get direction because of people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Aug 20, 2007.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

everyone tells me different things.

Some say go to college others say to do other things.

How can I make up my mind when all the people close to me either don't believe in me or the people who do believe in me all have different opinions?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

you make up your mind by making a decision and then acting according to that decision. You don't waver once a decision has been made. At some point, additional input from people is just noise. Make up your own mind about things.....don't concern yourself with how they would do something. Only concern yourself with how YOU would do something.

One way to do this is to ask yourself what you want out of any given situation. Be VERY clear about the answer...then make a decision to either pursue it or not.

It's a very simple principle but most people don't want to do this because they don't want to be responsible if shit crashes and burns. They want to be able to point the finger at someone else and blame them for the suggestion. Don't be that kind of a pussy! Make up your own mind and live with the consequences of those decisions.

This is the path to adulthood young grasshopper.

3. mrchina

mrchina Guest

That's why those things are called opinions. Nobody knows the "right" way to live. People will tell you what their experiences were/are and you use those opinions as guidance, not as a rule book.

At some point, you're going to have to make your own decisions. That's life. If you keep on following what everyone tells you, you're going to grow up confused and angry at all the stupid advice people gave you. If you allow others to control you, you'll end up miserable. However, take advantage when a successful person gives you advice on how to succeed. Take advantage of what the poor person tells you when he lists his mistakes.

4. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

all good to know. the more i read the more i think i'm afraid of failing

5. Coottie

Sure you are....fear of success and fear of failure are very common and hold many people back in life.

The trick is not to get stopped by fear...the trick is to keep taking action in spite of fears presence. You just push through the fear.

Mark Cubin, Billionaire founder of broadcast.com and now owner of THe Dallas Mavericks NBA team was asked what his advice would be for a new graduate and his answer was, "Don't be afraid of anything and follow your passions." Good stuff.

6. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

good advice but how do i find my passion? Especially when my life isnt going good at all

7. Coottie

There are books to help....Zen and the Art of Making a Living is one that helped me and also What Color Is your Parachute? is another. The key, don't get stuck in paralysis by analysis. That means at some point you must decide. It doesn't have to be for life either....just pick something that interests you then figure out the rest later. I just turned 40 and I also just graduated from Uni with my second bachelors degree....it's never too late to change the road you're on.

If you are at a University, go to the career placement office. THey have aptitude tests. These tests ask you a lot of questions about your likes and dislikes. Just answer honestly....not what you wish you were like...answer based on what you are like today. They will be able to determine different career paths for you.

I know of a couple of people that did this and the CP office suggested careers they had never even considered before. I've lost touch with them but last I heard, they were making excellent grades, were happy with their lives and excited about their future.

Noone can fix their lives overnight. The key is to set a direction and keep working in that direction. For me, I had to set some artificial time frame where I wouldn't deviate at all. 5 years! Yep....I said ok, for the next 5 years I'm going to learn everything about my current job I can....I'm going to become an expert....and I did and it helped me achieve more success than almost all of my friends.

Don't ever think for a moment that it's too late to find your passion. It isn't!!! You just have keep digging till you discover it.....and you may find you have many passions but some are much more powerful than the others.....focus on those.

You can also read books on success. Biographies of successful people are a great start. Anthony Robbins says, "Success leaves clues. So study successful people and look for the clues in what they did. Then do what they did and you should experience the same success." GUess what?? He did what they did and got the same success!!

8. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

I'll give you the best advice, you'll ever be given. It'll be short and sweet.

Stop caring what other's think of you, and do what makes you happy in life.

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:werd: it takes a while to train your mind to not care what others think but the effort is worth it.

of course, friendly advice can always been valuable but in the end, you should make a decision by yourself. don't take what other people take you for automatically being true, do your own research and find out for yourself where your life should be going