Can't get a straight answer about connecting iPod to car

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jul 8, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have a 2003 Acura CL Type S with factory navigation and the factory Bose headunit with in-dash CD changer. This same head unit was used on 2001-2003 CLs and TLs. According to a couple of people on an Acura site I browse, there is an open 14 pin input on the back of the head unit, even on a car with navigation, that they have successfully used. (I've seen pictures.) But according to sites that either make or sell iPod integration hardware, that 14 pin connector doesn't exist. Crutchfield says there's nothing they can do with my car. Al & Eds Autosound said they'd have to use an wired FM modulator. Sites that make the hardware give conflicting information. For example, they might say that it will work with a 2001-2003 CL/TL but the notes at the bottom will say its not compatible with cars that have in-dash changers. Well ALL 2001-2003 CLs & TLs have an in-dash changer. WTF?

I'd love to have some control over the iPod from the head unit, but what I really want is:

Best sound possible
    iPod pauses or turns off when I select another source or turn the car off
    Single connection to the car through dock connector for charging and line-out. Less wires & connections to make/unmake the better

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how about you take the head unit out and look? Then you'll know for sure.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah I'll pop off a couple of trim pieces and look back there this weekend. But I have the same head unit as in the pictures I saw so I'm sure I've got the input. I just don't know why no one except the DIY crowd says anything about it.

4. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

i use the icelink

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah the DIY I read used the Icelink 1.1. But now Dension's web site only shows the Icelink+ and the only Acuras they list are the TL and TSX.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm reading about the Monster iCruze now and it looks promising. The web site says that the iPod goes into "dock mode" when you connect it do the controls and display don't function. If I had the iPod undocked, could I navigate to a playlist, artist, album, etc., and have it continue to play when I docked it?

7. momoarrowz

momoarrowz New Member

On my g35 there is a product that lets me use the satelite radio input for my ipod, maybe your's has something similar?

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does anyone know what problem a factory navigation unit might present? Its a separate unit from the head unit and even on the navi cars, there's the open 14 pin CD changer connector. But most of the sites selling adapters to connect to the CD changer port say its incompatible with navi equipped Acuras.

9. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

i have a 01 cls w/o navi and have looked into the icruze. the application guide notes that the cd changer function will be disabled. i don't know if that loss of function comes from the installation of the icruze or the use of the ipod.

have you been on acurazine?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Does the navi interface to the head unti using that port tho??? That might be the problem.

11. TFinleyosu

TFinleyosu New Member

I installed an alpine head unit and used their interface and it was awsome. I never have to see the Ipod and keep it in the glove compartment. It looks really clean. I did it becuase the Mazda 3's unit looked shitty anyway. If you don't want to replace the head unit then look into different interfaces. The best one i found without doing the head unit cost about 250 but it claims to interface with 300 cars and their factory controls.

I'm sorry about not having a link but just wanted to let you know the best bet. The best part is that you dont have to use the ipod to control it.

12. ( . Y . )

( . Y . ) New Member

i have a '94 Acura Vigor, and i just spliced into the wire going from my changer to my tape deck and replaced it with my ipod's signal, works and only cost me a couple bux.

check here for more info: http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000897045842

13. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Just buy the adapter if all else fails.

14. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

What I did to use my Ipod in the car was this:

I bought this FM Modulator on ebay. It transmits the music to 1 of 2 stations on the radio (preset on the modulator that you can pick). It also plugs right into the radio antenna of the car(and then the antenna into the modulator so that you can still use the radio)

It took 5 min to install. Power, Ground, Antenna wires and then I bought an RCA cable that turns into the kind like on the end of the headphone. The RCA sides plug into the modulator and the other one plugs into your ipod. I put a peice of velcro in the car and one on the ipod to mount it and hid all the wiring behind the radio/dash.

The quality is pretty decent. A little bit less than a burned CD maybe. The only other downside is that you dont really have control of the ipod with the deck. Just have to use ipod for control

I guess if your using a budget solution this is it considering it can work with pretty much any [existing] deck you might have and how easy it is to install it.

The one I have is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-STEREO-...805365690QQcategoryZ32831QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

15. b-dizzle

b-dizzle Corporate Man-whore

damn Mitsubishi has to make their systems completely incompatible with any connecting device

what you'll need is an auxiliary input in your head unit. Best bet for you if you want those features you listed, is to buy an Alpine deck, and purchase the KC420i adapter that allows you to control the iPod through the car deck

16. Boosted_AWD_

Boosted_AWD_ 10,000 Watts RMS

:ugh2: