Can't get a computer on the LAN.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I've been f-ing around with this for about 5 hours now. I'm trying to setup a LAN and shared internet with 3 computers- two are running XP and one is running 98. I've been able to get them all on the router and able to connect to the internet, but I am unable to get the '98 computer to show up on the LAN, or even acknowledge that it's connected to a network at all. I've tried copying my settings over exactly (barring IP, DNS, etc. numbers), but I still can't get the '98 to show up. any suggestions on what protocalls I need in the 98 environment and what they should be set at?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

install netbios protocol and file sharing service

and make sure you have the same workgroup name, and login to the pc on boot - you can't skip the login

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

done all that already.

another bizzare quirk:

if I go to look for the network through explorer, and then run ipconfig in the command prompt. it will find the network. if I don't do that, it will search for about 15 minutes before giving me a "network not found" it's a work around that'll be okay for now since once it can find another computer on the network it has no trouble re-accessing it, but it's damned frustrating the computer isn't seeing the network properly.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i have no idea. shit tonight i have been fucking around with freebsd trying to get it to connect to my media server. mount_smbfs works with hostnames, but not ip addresses. this took an hour and a half of my night - WTF

i can't explain the reason for your symptoms and at this hour i no longer care :hs: