Can't format Hardrive!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I'm trying to format my hardrive so i can do a completely fresh install of XP and it wont let me. I just ran the setup but all the unwanted files are still on the hardrive. On the second attempt I tried to delete the partitions but it says I cannot as some of the setup files are contained in there, even when I change the BIOS settings to 'boot from cd'.

Can anyone help with this?

I just wanna delete it all.

Also I tried using 'format c:' from the command prompt but I am unable to dismount from the drive.

I miss DOS:wtc:

Thanks for any help!

2. eck

eck New Member

Swerve, do you have a bootable cd and a bios that supports booting from cd? If so, boot off of the CD (make sure you set your CD drive in front of your harddrive in the boot order options in your bios) and you will be able to format you c: drive.

Otherwise, do you have a floppy drive? Find google for Win98 bootdisk and create a bootable floppy disk that boots you to a command prompt and you can formate your c drive from there (as long as its not NTFS).

If those are not suitable options we can post more solutions. Good luck!

3. Teck

Teck WTF? OT Supporter

Windows 9x:
    Use FDISK
    Windows XP/2000
    Recovery Console use DISKPART

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Thanks guys!

I've just re-installed etc but the harddrive is still showing as almost full when I go Start>My computer>local disk.

I was re-installing Spybot and it say's the program directory it was going to create already exists.

The XP disk is bootable and the BIOS does support CD booting.

I have NTFS structure on my HDD now. Does that prevent XP formatting on installation?

Teck I'll check that out mate!

5. eck

eck New Member

If you can boot off of your CD, it won't matter that your file system is NTFS. Boot off the CD and it will take you through set again and give you the option to delete your current partition, create a new one, and then format. Its pretty easy for the most part. Hopefully you can make it through only re-installing once more :x:

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Thanks eck. I too thought thats how it's normally done but it does'nt allow me to delete the current partition. It says it's in use by some installation files.

7. eck

eck New Member

:stupid: