can't find well fitting clothes v.tallskinny

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tefnut, Jun 24, 2008.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

I've got a 6'2", broad-shouldered, narrow-waisted frame, and I can't find well-fitting clothes. All of my dress shirts and T-shirts seem to have been designed with obese giants in mind. I just look semi-awkward in anything I try to wear.

Any good recommendations for stores? Preferably ones I can shop at in person, or, failing that, online stores I guess. Also, any good tips for getting a nice slim fit?

Another thing... is buying a shirt you like and then taking it to a tailor for refitting a good idea? Never tried it, but it seems simple enough.

:wavey:

2. Bouwnt

Bouwnt choppa choppaaa

can't really offer any suggestions as to which stores to shop in person, as i mostly shop online, but you might try going to a nicer store? usually have better cuts all the way throughout the size line.

also, tailoring tees is a great idea, but fairly addictive and can be costly

3. tefnut

tefnut build

What stores do you shop at online?

4. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

zara & H&M

5. rAERRKLR

rAERRKLR New Member

There's not much point in tailoring a zara or h&m shirt so I usually sacrifice the length on the sleeves for a slim fit. I'm about 6'3 and similar build as you.

So I just make do with the sleeves rolled :o

6. tefnut

tefnut build

:rofl: I do that sometimes

7. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

8. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

you're 6'3? i never realized that you're so tall

anyway, my boyfriend's build sounds similar to the original poster-- fred perry clothes seem to fit him really well. otherwise, he gets his clothes tailored to fit better

http://www.fredperry.com

9. Popps

Popps New Member

I have same problem

broad shoulders, narrow waist, 6'3", long arms

I need an extra large size in long sleeves for them to fit me but then I look like I lost 250lbs and kept the same clothes.

In tees and polos the worst problem is that if I buy a medium which is the best compromise (still too baggy around waist) then the shirt shrinks to the point where it barely covers my belt anymore.

10. AndrewLD

AndrewLD New Member

11. rAERRKLR

rAERRKLR New Member

Yeah, I guess cos I never have taken a full length pic it's hard to notice. :o

ANd I agree with Fred Perry. I have a deep vneck sweater that is a perfect fit. I've never tried anything else though by them.

Fred Perry has a bad reputation here over the last 5-10 years because there's two lines, one from England and one which is made in like bangladesh or somewhere, so loads of chavs started wearing it. But the last few years it's been pushed as a cool brand again.

12. rAERRKLR

rAERRKLR New Member

That's sort of what you have to deal with really. A polo shirt which is long looks weird on me though because of the fit of my jeans, so just around the belt looks fine imo. Although it probably would look off with baggier jeans..

13. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I'm the same build, except 5 inches shorter... Very athletic build. Most shirts look baggy in the back. I've almost given up trying to look good.

14. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

how about for the short/stocky guy? I'm 5'7" and ~160. Very athletic build, seems like most mediums fit a little tight, and are too long (polo shirts)

15. JayDC7

JayDC7 oh my god it's sasquatch!?

thats the boat that i'm in. 5'11, 175lb my chest is over 42 and my waist is under 32, but my ass is big haha. im usually a medium but get a large in stuff that is cut slimmer.

you just have to stop buying "classic" cut clothing since all that stuff is for someone who has a 42 chest but a 36+ waist. the two stores listed above zara and h&m are a cheap and good option. just look for stuff that is labled slim or tailored fit and it should do the job a lot better. i like the way jcrew stuff fits me and they have a lot of basics without labels, they also have a lot of sales online. try to find a brand and stick with it.

16. Battles

Battles New Member

get your tees from aa

17. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

i'm not trolling when i say this... but A&F's clothes are made to fit that torso build/proportion