...can't decide... please give me some opinions... (A/V Receiver)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by is300eater, Oct 18, 2004.

1. is300eater

is300eater New Member

I want to buy a nice home theater receiver... and can't decide between the following brands:

Denon- from I was told... voted the best in home audio year after year...
    Pioneer Elite (THX) Are they good, or just good marketing?
    Onkyo (THX) Funny name, but maybe one of the most under-rated brands out there?

and believe it or not...

Sony's "ES" line... someone at "the Good Guys" did a demo for me, and I have to admit... I was really impressed.

My price range is around $500-$700 (on-line price that is...)

..and if any of you have ever made a purchase on-line... give me some advices to what is a good (and trust worthy) site...

thanks in advance for you reply.

2. AS007

AS007 Guest

Denon all the way!

3. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

what exactly are you gonna be using the receiver for?

ie. what will be it's primary use? what kind of speakers does it need to drive? how many inputs and outputs do you need and of what type? are you looking for a 5 channel, 6 channel or 7 channel setup? do you need multi-room capabilities? etc.

As for online sites, I bought my harman/kardon AVR325 from www.etronics.com and everything went great...my main motivation for going with them, though, was the borderfree program they have with Canada Post making tax and duty etc. much simpler.

4. is300eater

is300eater New Member

...well, I just bought the Samsung DLP 50" pedistal TV and I don't like the "home-theater-in-a-box" by Philips that I have right now... I want to upgrade, I've already went and got a set of Polk Audio speakers (5.1) the front ones are NOT floor speakers though. I live in a condo right now... but plan on buying a bigger place later... but the good thing is... nobody lives below me, most of the time (I live at the beach, and the owners rent the place out mostly in the summer and weekends)... so I can turn it up at times...

But to answer your question... mostly for movies... I love watching movies...

5. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Ive owned Sony ES and Denon and prefer the denon

6. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

Denon 5805

7. TTA89

TTA89 Guest

All three of those a reputable brands. I wouldn't touch anything Sony these days. I own a Denon 2803 that I bought from www.abesofmaine.com at a good discount. I don't have any complaints with it.

You might also look in Yamaha, Harmon Kardon and Marantz they are usually a step above.

www.avsforum.com has a reciever section with more than enough info.

8. TTA89

TTA89 Guest

LOL yeah... He said around 700 bucks. :cool:

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

I've got a Denon 3805 running a 7.1 system. No complaints at all. Powerful, clean, and very flexible. Also, I really like the sound of Denon's DSP modes.

I never really shopped the Onkyo, but I did shop Integra, which is made by Onkyo. Basically, for similar features, the Integra's were significantly more expensive, but didn't really sound significantly better.

10. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

That thing is a BEAST :eek3:

11. Jazz

I'm an H/K fan myself...great HT receivers :)

Try to find if you can find a place that has some of last years stock...I think the older black ones look alot better than the newer silver and honestly, that's the biggest difference between the two model years

Plus you'll save a ton of money :o

12. Jazz