Can't decide between PC kits, Optimum or PoorBoys

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by StealthMode, Apr 6, 2006.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

As the title states I am undecided as to which kit I should go with, I know both are excellent products.. So I need some advice..

Here is the PoorBoys PC Kit.

Also, should I order another pad or two? Also, anything else for finishing products? Thanks again :hsd:

Ok, for some reason only one link is showing up, so here is the Optimum Kit just in case the link isn't working for you guys.
    http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I love optimum

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Optimum. I love Poorboy's waxes and sealants but Optimum has much better polishes.

4. StealthMode

Ok, thats what I was thinking, but I wanted some expert opinions.
    I might just pick up some PB's sealer.

Also, one more question... Is NXT a carnuba based wax, or is it a sealant? I heard both ways and I'm confused.. :dunno:

5. Scottwax

NXT is a sythetic polymer sealant. It is also more durable than when first released. Apparently, the changes needed to make it VOC compliant also improved durability.

Go with the paste, it sets up faster (you can remove sooner).

6. StealthMode

Ahh, how long am I supposed to leave it on before I buff it off? (I have the bottle)

7. Scottwax

About 15 minutes. Best way to test if it is ready for removal is to run a finger across the paint. If NXT comes off cleanly, it is ready to be removed.

8. StealthMode

Ahhh....thats what I did wrong last time I applied it. Thanks again scott :cool:

9. MrGone

MrGone New Member

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up the Optimum kit based on what I've read from a number of the guys on here but am looking for suggestions on which wax/sealant to use.

Mainly doing dark cars (Black 740i, Dark Blue Suburban and Corolla, Dark Green Subaru, and a Silver Durango)
    I know this is asked a lot but just looking for a few names to point me in the right direction :hs:

My main priority is with the BMW, it has heavy swirling and just needs a really good detailing. Also I remember reading about it having a 'softer' clear coat.

Also just curious
    If you use Optimum Compound do you need to step back down to Optimum Polish? say you are using a cutting pad with OC, what do you do next? Use a less agressive pad with OC, use the same pad with OP, use OP and a finishing pad?

Would you use Jeff's Prime after OP or just go straight to Jetts Acrylic or Jetts Carnauba (for example)?

I take it I use finishing pads are used with Jeff's Prime and the finessing pad for applying Carnauba and Acrylic Jett because they are in spray bottles? Autogeek mentions you can use the finishing or finessing pads to apply waxes, is it simply use the finessing pad if you have a liquid wax and the finishing pad for paste wax?

What is the best way for removing the compound/polish/cleaner/wax? By hand using a terry cloth or microfiber or machine microfiber or terry cloth bonnet over lambswool, or is it really just mix of personal preference and what the directions say? Is terry cloth is used more for compound/polish removal and microfibers for cleaner/wax, or does it not make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions, I know it's very time consuming and can only imagine repetitive, I really appreciate it :hs:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  10. Scottwax

I'd follow OC with OP even though OC tends to finish off pretty well, especially since you are doing a lot of dark cars.

The blue Propel ( www.exceldetail.com ) finishing pad seems to work best with Prime. And yes, use Prime after OP to help AJ or CJ bond better. You don't *have* to but if you want the best durability and appearance, go with Prime after OP.

AJ and CJ you should apply by hand only. Trust me. Forget spraying AJ, use a foam hand pad and continue spreading until it is hard to see. Any visible build up can be hard to buff off. If you work it until barely visible (do a couple panels at a time), it wipes off effortlessly. With CJ, spray a light mist on to a section at a time, spread with a microfiber towel and keep spreading and wiping until you can barely see it, then flip the towel for a final wipe. Takes a couple panels to really get the hang of either product but once you do, you can seal or wax a car very quickly.

11. MrGone

MrGone New Member

I believe I read in another thread you can use AJ over CJ? Does that do anything or is it pointless? Also is it correct that CJ 'stacks' (not sure of the proper term) when you apply multiple coats giving it a deeper look?

I was about to send Patrick a PM. Do you happen to know if he sells the 7424/7336? I was looking at buying from AutoGeek but I'd rather support an OTer.

Poking around his site did bring up one more question, should I use a 5" or 6" backing plate with the 7" Propel pads he sells? (looking at the main page - Excel Info mentions new 3rd gen Propel pads but I don't think they are avaliable yet.

gotcha, thanks for the pointers :cool:

btw, how do the microfiber towels at Costco compare to the ones you buy at the detailing stores?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  12. Scottwax

Currently, Patrick does not sell the Porter Cable. Lowes does though, the 7336 for $109.

Definitely go with the 6" backing plate, spreads pressure more evenly over the pad.

Adding CJ over AJ (after AJ cures for 12 hours or more-ideal, a few hours in a pinch) should give more depth and darken the paint. It is layerable but honestly, 2 coats for complete coverage is just fine. Maybe add another coat every other time you wash it if you want.

13. MrGone

MrGone New Member

gotcha

and yet another question :hs:
    Should I use Jeff's autobody wash or is Meguiars Gold (gallon at Costco heh) fine?

thanks a million Scott :bowdown:

14. Scottwax

Any name brand car wash should be fine.

15. autox

autox OT Supporter

I got the optimum kit and bought natty blue paste wax, am lovin it. I did my truck a couple weeks ago, and did my moms jeep today, came out great.

16. StealthMode

Good to hear. Can't wait to do my car...

17. StealthMode

Here's what I am up against. Finally got my camera back so I was able to take some pics of how the paint looks.
    Any suggestions?

Oh, I forgot to ask before, but with the Optimum kit, I believe it only comes with one orange and two grey pads, should I pick up one or more white pads as well?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Scottwax

Use a cutting pad with Optimum Compound and a polishing pad with OP. Don't know colors, I know cuts. ;)

Hit up www.exceldetail.com for Propel pads. Good prices and 5 grades of aggressiveness.

19. StealthMode

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html Well, here is the Optimum kit and it comes with one light cutting pad (orange) and two buffing pads (grey) which are Lake Country Pads. Maybe I'll just order the yellow cutting pad (heavier) along with this kit. Should be enough of everything I think..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  20. StealthMode

I'm ordering the Optimum kit and picking up a burgandy megs pad as well.

Wow, this one is old :hsugh:

21. StealthMode

:cool: Wish i could order mine... Have two rent payments to make this month, then I am in the clear. Another month of waiting...:sad2: