Can't access recovery partition, but it's there

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jul 29, 2009.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

So I have this laptop with a recovery partition (D:), and couldn't access it before, so I used an XP CD to delete and reinstall windows on C:, but I want to access the recovery partition and format it again using the Windows image that's already on the HD on D:, but it's not an option when I turn on the laptop. How do i do this? Testdisk in linux is a familiar progmram, if anynoe can guide me with that, or anything else that will work.

Basically it has to boot to D: I'm guessing? And then from there it lets me press "any key" to start recovery, and if I don't it moves on to boot to Windows (this is what it should do, but it boots straight to windows instead)

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

check laptop's manufacturer on what key to press at boot
    dell = ctrl+f11
    asus = f9
    etc
    etc

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

Well first it brings up the BIOS screen, and then if this is possible i think* it boots to the recovery partition and says "Press F11 to recover..." and if you don't press it, it boots to windows. But it's not even bringing up the "Press F11 to recover" because the last time windows was installed, it wasn't through the recovery partition or the recovery CD, it was through anormal windows CD.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

are you sure that the recovery partition is still there?
    if it's there,... it shouldn't matter whatever is installed in the main partition,... it will overwrite it

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Well when I booted into windows, I saw a D recovery partition and it wouldn't let me access it and warned me against modifying th econtestnts of it, so yeah something is there. And during the Windows install ti detected a D partition.

Acutally, now I fudged up the partition info and it won't boot into windows either lol. I checked in testdisk, it does detect an FAT32 partition and then the Windows one, niether of them will now boot. BIOS just loads to a black screen lol oh boy

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you'll probably need the OEM recovery disc to open it up, not the XP setup disc

try installing XP again
    then boot to windows
    enter disk management
    make sure that the recovery partition is indeed the 'D:' drive
    then right click, select 'make partition active'
    then reboot, press F11,.. see what happens

7. awns729

awns729 New Member

Hm When I try to boot to the HD, it says hal.dll is missing. Is it possible this is when it's searching D: that this is what is causing it to not boot to recovery? Am I even making sense?

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

Hm I think the option was missing, I think I looked for that already. But I'll give it a shot again as I'm not positive and I just reformatted the NTFS partition because XP Setup wouldn't even load -that's how bad i fucked up the hd lol

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

Also, the recovery partition has changed to C and windows is now D. How do i fix tihs?

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What kind of mahine is this?? If it's Dell, I have some programs somewhere that can possibly fix it.

Run a Windows repair if you can't boot into Windows.