Can't access HD, showed up once, now nothing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Oct 10, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

My friend asked me to take a look at an internal HDD that she needs some photos from. She put it in an encloseure and Windows won't recognize it. So I tired it with my IDE -> USB2.0 converter and it worked till I tired to access some folders, so I know the data is on there. I saw all the folders on her C drive and then tried to go into Docs/Settings and it froze on me. Every time after that I tried to access it (even on two other computers) it freezes the computer when I plug the USB cable in. I plug the cable in and right click on my comp and go to management and it freezes/slows down everything until I unplug the USB connection. My computer won't boot with the drive plugged in either.

Suggestions? Thanks

2. glamdering

glamdering New Member

can you write to it?
    check the hard drive for damage?
    like broken pins etc?

you check the thing for viruses?
    you try remotely accessing it?
    you try to do data recovery?
    was it unplugged from the computer when it stopped working?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

run chkdsk /r on it.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

does this still includes the IDE to USB converter?
    have you tried directly hooking it up to IDE? check jumpers

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

it doesn't show up in disk management and my computer.

actually i noticed that my IDE -> USB2 connection has a little IDE cable that i plug into the hdd and then the ohter end to the actual converter piece. two of the pins on the end of the cable were bent so when i was fiddling around with teh drive and trying to get it to work, two pins weren't connnected. I bent them back into place, but I don't think this should have broken the drive, right? fixing this didn't make a difference, nor did eliminating the cable and plugging the hdd directly into the converter piece w/out the ide cable.

i don't see broken pins or damage on teh drive itself.

i can't check for viruses b/c it won't be detected.

not sure how i can remotely access it?

i would be willing to try a data recovery program that was free, but if windows won't recognize the drive, how is that possible?

and my friend had a video card problem (according to teh guys who she took it to), but the hard drive was supposed to be fine. she never got it to work in the enclosure though. she had the same problem of it not detecting

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yes, it's with the converter. I'm at college, so all I have is my laptop. I'll see if I can get it into a desktop (not sure if I'll be able to), but everything I've done is IDE -> USB.

7. glamdering

glamdering New Member

what state you live in? if you live close enough i can try data recovery the what i do with my data recovery is it will be free if i can't get it (i think most have gotten that way these days)

(because still working on the website and securing it and all that before offering online services)

would give you some more ideas but i have to go for FD donation day