A&P Canon's answer to the Nikon D2h

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mojito, Sep 22, 2004.

1. mojito

mojito New Member

Canon has announced the 1Ds MKII, a 16.7 megapixel full-frame replacement for the original 11 Megapixel 1Ds, which is now two years old.

The camera has a turn-on time of just 0.3 seconds, and is capable of four frames per second at full resolution, for bursts of up to 32 JPEG, or 11 RAW images (compared with 3 fps for up to 10 frames on the original EOS-1Ds camera). The camera also offers ISO speeds from 100 to 1600 in 1/3-stop increments, and is also capable of ISO 50 and ISO 3200. As with the just-released 8 megapixel Canon 20D, E-TTL-II flash metering technology and the Digic II image processing chip are featured. The 1Ds Mark II will have a retail price of approximately U.S. $8,000, and shipments will begin in November.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dsmkii/

2. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:rofl:

"The timing of the EOS-1Ds Mark II's announcement was interesting if not totally surprising coming just five days after Nikon announced the twelve (point four) megapixel D2X, the megapixel one-up-man-ship continues."

Canon always pulls this shit.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Just shows how far ahead of the game they are. Nikon finally creates a camera to compete with Canon's 2 year old model, and its the must have cam for 5 days, all before it even hit production

4. Easton

Easton New Member

The D2X feels like a "part 1Ds Mark II part 1D Mark II"... remember it's got two modes, one for performance and one for studio/quality.

But at the end of the day.. it's performance is neither as good as the 1D Mark II nor is it's studio/quality mode as good as the 1Ds Mark II...

I suppose it's suitable to those who shoots both performance and studio and can't afford both 1D's but I don't think theres many out there.

I mean most motorsport photographers (i.e formula 1) usually don't shoot studio/quality photos as well (i.e new Pontiac press photos) and vice versa.

And even if they did.. they can afford/would rather buy two seperate bodies anyway! One 1Ds Mark II for studio and a 1D Mark II for formula 1!

If I can nab a 1Ds Mark II for under $11,000 AUD and can pick one up before December... i'll take it! If not i'll have to go for the 1D Mark II.

I'm really disappointing in the price :( but I suppose it's not too surprising either) :(

5. mojito

mojito New Member

We're paying more for being able to change the ISO in 1/3 stop movements and wireless technology than we are for the upgraded sensor.

Has the 1Ds even been discontinued yet?

6. sony

sony Active Member

7. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Just insane. :cool: