A&P Canon SD400? Is it reliable? Should I get a service plan for it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Slider, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Slider

Slider Resident Lurker OT Supporter

I'm buying my first digi cam, and the sd400 meets all my needs. Now I was just wondering if I should get the Performance Service Plan from best buy with it. The plan is $100 for 4 years, and would cover things like battery, LCD screen, and anything else that would go wrong with it. I'm kinda tight on cash so I was wondering what do you guys think?

2. Slider

read this here: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...007TJ5OG-3.html+canon+sd400+reliability&hl=en

The Canon S400, S410 and S500 have all had serious reliability problems. Read the reviews on this website and you will see that many customers have had a mysterious 'memory error' and/or the lens jamming (E18 error). These problems have shown up at about 18 months on all of these models. Since Canon hasn't fixed the problem in over 3 years since it first started showing up, I wouldn't want to bet that this camera won't also turn into a paperweight after 18 months.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Canon will 'fix' the problem for $150. Nothing like turning a design defect into a profit center.

:noes:

Please give me some input

3. johan

johan Active Member

I had an S400. Totally flawless, awesome pictures. Sold it to a friend.

I now have an SD300 (bought it last year, before SD400). Again, totally flawless. Really great pictures. Better than the CP5200. Sold that to another friend.
    Kept the SD300.

I wouldn't buy the extended warranty, the cameras have all been awesome, and I know in two years or so, I'll have a newer one anyway.

And my cameras don't sit in drawers, they get used pretty heavily. I took thousands of pics with the S400, on lots of road trips, handed around as a 'party' camera, got dropped a few times... no problems.

Same deal with the SD300 now.

4. Slider

Thanks! that's really good, it would save me a $100. :cool:If anyone else has the sd, please reply with your experiences with it.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

where from?

if you get a kitz or best buy one, you could end up with a new camera at the end of the 4 years or whenever if that model is no longer available. If you get it from an actual camera store, it'll just keep getting repaired and you'll be without it for weeks at a time.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

7. Slider

I was going to buy it from best buy.

Wouldn't the costco thing only last as long as I have my membership? I can't find their return/warranty policy anywhere on the site.

8. mojito

mojito New Member

why would you not have a membership?

they don't really have a return policy, its basically bring it back in any condition for any reason at any time. Only restrictions are computers at 6 months

9. Slider

Cool, thanks a lot. I think the price is even cheaper then what I get with the employee discount. But gotta pay $45 a year for membership.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

you or your family doesn't have a membership? Someone else you know surely does

11. Slider

I don't have a membership, don't think anyone in my family does either.

Do you have to have an active membership in order to return it?

12. mojito

mojito New Member

would doubt it

but you seriously should get one, you'll save on everything
    groceries, TP/paper towels, cd/dvd's, blank media, clothes or whatever else

it more than pays for it self. their gas is crappy, but this day in age you gotta do whatever you can to save on the gas

13. Slider

Awesome, I'll probably pick one up next week then. Thanks for the help :bigthumb: