A&P Canon S2 IS, Panasonic LZ7, or Canon A710 IS

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HorseDick, Jan 14, 2007.

1. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

I have an S2 IS as my point & shoot. It's a nice camera for a P&S, but I can't comment on the others as I've never used them. The S2 just collects dust now though :o

3. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

I've got an S1 IS that I'm looking to sell for $200 with batteries, charger and 512 flash card (and everything else that came with it originally).

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just thought I'd throw that out there in case you're interested. It's a great camera but I'm looking to get a DSLR now.

4. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Wanna sell it?

5. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Not rly

6. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Alrighty. In your experience, what are some good/bad things about it? Thanks

7. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Bad points are what you'll find in any point and shoot - chromatic aberration performance could be better, poor performance in low light, mediocre viewfinder, etc. It runs on AA's which is purely personal preference on whether you like or not. Obviously it makes batteries cheap since you can grab some nimhs or even use alkaline, but it does add a bit to the weight. The autofocus on the S2 (and S1, not sure if they fixed it in S3) can be finicky, but other than that it's one of the better P&S cameras imo. Image quality is good for a P&S, it's certainly not a tiny camera but it's comfortable to hold and work with. The S3 actually has a hack that lets you shoot in RAW (not that it matters that much on a P&S), but I'm not sure if there's one for the S2 or not. The big zoom on the S2 is nice when you want to get something far away but can't/don't want to walk up to it.

8. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

After playing with / holding each camera in my hands, I decided to go with the FZ7. I'll let you guys know how I like it after I learn it. :)