A&P Canon Rebel XT - is this a good first camera?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CaseLogic, May 17, 2007.

1. CaseLogic

CaseLogic Longhorns - Mavs - Cowboys - Tool - 24 - Lost - Th

So I recently decided that I want to maybe take up photography as a hobby, but I just need to find the right deal. I've done some research and supposedly the XT is a great camera (for amateurs), and the lens that comes on it is decent enough for an amateur like me. I would probably consider getting a new lens, but maybe later down the line after I get a feel for the camera.

I'm sure this thread has been posted a thousand times, sorry. What are some other good cameras to look at other than the XT? I don't know if the XTI is worth spending the extra $200 for just a bigger LCD/cleaning sensor. I heard the D50/D80 are good but I think both of those are considerably more than an XT. The D40 is less but not nearly as good as the XT from what I can see.

What do you guys think? Also, how do you suggest I purchase a camera? New (from newegg) or is used a safe bet most of the time? I wouldn't mind buying used, but I don't know where I can (fuck eBay that shit scares me). That way I might be able to afford a used camera AND a better lens. The only drawback is, I wouldn't be able to finance something used probably :noes:

2. CaseLogic

Oh, btw as far as lens go, I wouldn't want anything specific (macro, telescopic, wide) because I want to be able to do a little bit of everything (as best as I can). I'm a fan of scenery/landscapes, but I would also like to just take cool pictures of people, objects, landmarks, etc. Would somethin like 24-75 be good?

3. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

I picked up the XTi after extensive research on entry level cameras myself. I couldn't be happier with it. If you're worried about price, go with the XT, there aren't significant differences, but there are some, (mostly in the settings of the camera and the megapixels) I also opted for a 28-200mm lens over the standard 18-70mm

4. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

here are the differences between the XT and XTi

5. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

if you are thinking about getting into photography, do youself a favor and buy a good point and shoot before junping full on into a DSLR, I've seen alot of people buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment just to decide that it wasn't for them, then their stuff either sat around and collected dust or they sold it all for way less then they bought it for

photography is NOT a cheap hobby by any means

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Maybe start with a canon S3 first :dunno:

I'm happy with my XT just couldn't justify $200 extra on the XTI the 2 extra megapixels and self cleaning sensor isnt worth that much. Just start with the 18-55 kit lens to see what you like to shoot first. I got mine here http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNDRXT1855B

7. dopEguy

dopEguy Let's gangbang this thing and go home. Good? OT Supporter

:werd:

8. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

Plus, although its easier to get great pictures on a DSLR, its also a lot easier to get bad ones. I started on a "prosumer" pro and shoot which sorta tried to bridge the gap, it was fully manual, had DSLR looks etc, and I'm pretty happy that I did before spending tons of money on a DSLR and not liking it.

9. CaseLogic

While I understand where you guys are coming from, I'm willing to accept the learning curve on a DSLR. I already have a point and shoot, and I've used my dad's SLR enough that I kinda know where I'm gonna be with the DSLR.

I'm okay with the higher prices of a DSLR, but obviously I don't wanna go TOO expensive and get equipment that I'm not even good enough to use yet :hs:

What about the lens on an XT? Even though it's a cheap lens, I've heard it has good bang for the buck all things considered. Would that be a good enough lens fo rme?

10. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

it's not just the learning curve, cheap and DSLR don't go together, the body is just the begining, you will spend at least what you have into the body in decent glass

the 18-55 is a turd, I don't know where you were reading that it was any kind of good
    the build quality is horrible
    it focuses slow
    forget about doing any kind of manual focusing
    no distance window
    the end turns when it focuses so forget about using a CPL easily
    the autofocus is loud (sounds nit picky but once you get used to USM lenses it gets annoying)
    image quality isn't anything special

it's an all around POS

bottom line is if you are getting a DSLR and planning on using nothing but the kit lens because you want to save money go ahead and save yourself the headache and just get a good prosumer point and shoot like an S3 and move up to an SLR when you can afford to put the money into it

11. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I was fine with the kit lens to start out, I outgrew it very fast though and just sold mine. If you have $300-400 extra I'd get a better lens

12. Changed

Changed Guest

:werd:

I'd goes as far as to say that you should either A. wait until you have $350 to spend on the Tamron 28-75, or B. you have $450 to spend on the Tamron 17-50.

You said you like landscape, portrait, architecture, etc... Both those lenses would satisfy your appetite for some time.

edit: and you have to take into account: memory cards, tripod, bag, battery grip (?), filters, hoods...

13. CaseLogic

Yep, that's why I'm looking for suggestions. Just because I don't want the most expensive thing doesn't mean I can't get a decent enough SLR + lens for a good price :dunno:

From what I can tell in this thread, the XT is a good enough entry-point camera, but I should possibly consider another lens? Tamron 28-75 or 17-50?

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

the tamron 17-50 is nice for the 2.8 thru the range...sigma 17-70 is affordable too at around $330...try http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ someone is always selling used equipment

15. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

I recently just started with a 20D and a kit lens. All the photo-snobs aside; if you have never used a dslr then you won't think the kit lens sucks. It will allow you to practice and get a feel for manual photography. Once you're "good" buy a better lens. I'll probably buy a tamron or splurge on the 17-85 IS :noes: in a month or so.

16. CaseLogic

bump for a question... D40 or XT? It seems like the XT overall is a better camera, but you can't say too much about LCD screen size :mamoru: Plus the XT is technically out-dated

17. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

don't ask D40 or rebel. Ask nikon or canon. You'll get opinions from both sides- so some reading and decide for yourself.

18. Traitor

Traitor New Member

If your serious about taking up photography as a hobby then i would wait and save up my money for a better camera (used 20D or 30D). Im sure all the photogs on here that bought a rebel are now wishing they spent the extra money for the 30D.

Do you have a budget?

19. Traitor

Traitor New Member

oh and XT > D40

20. CaseLogic

well I have a budget and it's around the range of an XT :o I figure when I start getting BETTER at taking pictures and get past the beginner stage of figuring out how to get pictures looking good... I can trade up my XT and buy a better camera :dunno:

I really can't afford something like a 20D, especially when the differences don't even matter for someone at my skill level :o

21. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Do it. You'll love it. Great learning camera.

22. CaseLogic

It'll be here this week :x:

edit: plus the Canon 50mm f/1.8 :coold:

23. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:bowdown:

Cant wait to see your pics man!

24. CaseLogic

Don't get your hopes up... I've read up on aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and the rule of thirds, but putting it into practice is something else :noes:

25. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

I've had the XT for a year and a half now. I'm pretty happy with it. Its enough for someone that doesn't make money off photography.