A&P Canon PRO Or D70

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Haggard, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Haggard

Haggard VW crew

Alright i'm new to photography and over the past year im been ganing more intrest, and im looking at getting a good camera, basicly it's between a cannon Pro or a D70. im wondering what your thoughts are on both cameras and would it be worth shelling the extra 600ish for a D70??? or can you recommend any other cameras

Thanks

2. mojito

mojito New Member

canon pro? the Pro1? It should be the same price point as the D70. Its no where near the quality, but for $1k to get 8mp, a L series 28-200 lens in a small size with video and RAW capability is nice. If you're looking at the pro-sumer cameries like the pro1, lok at the Minolta A2 or Olympus c-8080. Nikon has a revised version of theirs coming out soon that should challenge the forementioned ones.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

keep i mind the D70 is goona need a lot of accessories, like lenses, tripod, bag, loads of memory, batteries etc

4. Haggard

Haggard VW crew

Thanks

5. sony

sony Active Member

What the hell? The two cameras are in two entirely different categories. :hsugh:

Do you want to go with point and shoot or SLR? Thats the decision you have to make. :hsugh:

6. dmora

dmora Guest

PnS or DSLR.

Apple's and oranges.

7. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

All I gotta say is this:

Unless you can take great photographs with a point & shoot, you're not going to gain anything from having a Digital SLR. I would suggest learning the basics of photography on a reasonably good Point & Shoot - think Canon A70-A80 series. These cameras allow you enough control over aperture, exposure, and shutter speed to let you learn how they all function together, and also give you good point & shoot capabilities. When you are comfortable with it, and decide to pursue photography as a serious hobby, go spend $1000 on a Digital SLR. However, I GUARANTEE you that if you are just learning photography, if you get a mid-low end camera that still takes excellent photographs, you will be just as satisfied, and learn just as much, as if you were using a Digital SLR.

I just see a lot of people buying $1000-2000 worth of photo equipment when they don't know anything about it. It's really not worth the initial investment unless you are sure that you are going to pursue the hobby seriously. If you just want to take snapshots, save $700 and get a camera that is more fit for your uses.

But then again, this is OT, where discretion is a rare virtue!