A&P Canon Powershot pro1 or Nikon Coolpix 8800?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by newboundguy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

I'm torn between the two, which would you guys suggest?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I really had high hopes for the pro 1 when it first came out, and was very disappointed by it. However Canon has put out a new firmware that addressed many of the initial issues, and its basically a new camera. Much faster and better autofocus etc.

However the 8800 has a longer overall zoom and Image stabilization. I would go and try them both and see how you like them. The canon has a very unique zoom setting and feel. the nikon is a little more straight forward. You should also consider the Sony 828, Olympus c-8080 and Minolta A2 or its newest version.

The olympus is a awesome camera and a great lens, but it doesn't zoom as much. The sony gets a bad rap for high iso performance, but in all other scenarios its equal or better than the competition, and all the 8mp prosumer cams use Sony's ccd. The Minolta impressed me the most, by far the best viewfinder and layout, image stabilization and a manual zoom control like the sony

3. mucky

mucky .

Honestly, neither. I would strongly suggest to take a look at the Olympus C-8080. Or quite possibly the Minolta A2.

The Pro1 and 8800 pictures produced were not as good as the Olympus or Minolta's.

4. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

Anyone else?

5. cxt9597

cxt9597 New Member

its not 8 mp

but the panasonic dz f505 i think is the number, i dunno i could be completely off on that its been a while since i looked at it, but although its only 5 mp, it has 12x optical zoom with image stabalisation and also it has a really nice leica lens. its not incredibly expensive either something like 500 dollars or less. perhaps something to look into.

6. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

DMC-FZ20. Great camera.

7. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

Would you suggest that over the ones I listed?