A&P Canon lenses?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ElDude, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Hi ho, I've just (finally) bought the 300D and being a total nub that I am, I was wondering if some kind photographer types could point me in the right direction for the lens I'd like to get (in no particular order). Preferably cheap ones for now, until I can safely declare I'm not a noob and feel that spending more is worth it.

Anyhoo, I'm after a macro lens, a wide angle lens and a zoom lens.

I've had a look around and I've seen a few that fit the price range I'm willing to go with, but having ZERO knowledge in this area that's new to me, I need help. I'm not really bothered which lens I get first, but it's a case of only getting one of them for now (I'm running out of money fast!) and using it until I'm confident to move to another area/lens :)

So help me Canon peeps, you're my only hope :big grin:

Oh, I suppose I should add that I'd think that macro is the last thing I'll bother with unless a macro lens is dirt cheap as I'm more interested in the photo than the close ups at the moment :)

2. thefireflyjar

thefireflyjar New Member

well the kit lens ( 18-55 ) is a pretty good starting lens. And it will prolly be the only wide that you'll be able to afford.

3. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Well that's not very...erm...helpful. I've seen some in my price range, and baring in mind I said I don't mind using ones that some of the more "pro" would consider lesser lenses until I get even remotely decent with them, there are lenses out there. I just need to know what are good budget lenses, or sale/second hand ones.

Also, you don't know how much money I have, so you can't say I can't afford one :)

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

What is your price range ?

The 17-40mm f/4 L is a lens you would keep using even with the pro bodies.

5. hash browns

:squint: You bought a Digital Rebel . We can guess .

6. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Well I've got plenty of money, thanks for asking. I'm just a beginner at digital photography and don't want to spend silly money until I'm capable of appreciating them fully.

Christ, it's like pulling teeth in here :|

7. hash browns

What do you want to shoot ?

Maybe you should give us an idea of what kinds of photographs you want to take .

8. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Well as I mentioned, I'm not too fussy as to what I shoot (the kit lens will be sufficient for the bulk of things I'll be using it for as I learn), as I want to learn all there is to learn. My current train of thought is to buy one lens and take photos with that until I'm succesful with it. I don't see any point in buying all of them at once when I'm a nooby.

So I thought macro lenses last, maybe zoom or wide angle shots? I can think of specific areas in the mountains by here where I can use both.

What other makes of lenses are equally as good as the canon ones, or maybe cheaper for learning with? If I don't go nuts and buy an average priced lens to learn with, I might have money left to buy a decent one when I've finished learning :big grin:

One step at a time :)

9. hash browns

An example of what many people like to shoot is landscapes and scenics. Traditionally, these are shot with wide-angle lenses ... because sometimes, you just can't back up enough. You can shoot shoot landscapes and scenics with a telephoto lens, but you'll probably need to understand what you're doing to get pleasing results.

The kit lens does offer you a decent range of focal lengths, giving you a semi-wide to a semi-normal coverage. If you like the shots you can take with the kit lens, especially at the wider end, then perhaps you'd consider replacing the kit lens with a lens covering similar focal lengths, but better optically, like the 17-40mm f/4L.

Many people like to recommend the 50mm f/1.8 as it is pretty cheap -- I personally don't like to do this. Sometimes the money is better spent when saved towards another item.

The Canon 85mm f/1.8 seems to be a nice lens for people/portrait shots and other things you might find.

:dunno:

Edit: Tamron, Tokina and Sigma all make lenses for the Canon lens mount, so you could look at what they have too.

10. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Thanks for the tips :)

Would you recommend a photography course (beginners of course :p) or just getting out there and shooting until I know what I'm doing? I only ask as I've no idea what's on those courses :big grin:

11. hash browns

You don't need to take a course, but you need to find a way to learn what you're doing .

12. bosox

bosox *

it will be much easier if you tell us this price range :)

13. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

Find out what type of things you like to shoot. If you need a bit more zoom canon makes a 28-105 and a 28-135 that are great beginner lenses that are fairly cheap too (definately not L glass but also not L priced)

14. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Looking around most people are telling me to get decent lenses from the off, so I think I'll wait a while, see how I go with the kit lens and when I start work again, I'll get these.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

That's one that a fair few people have recommended. It's only £262 too so it's not bad. The other I was looking at was the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX HSM which is a tidy £549.

There are a hell of a lot of lenses out there that overlap each other or are specific set sizes. It's a lot to take in for my nooby brain :big grin:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  15. mojito

mojito New Member

you can go with the 17-40, 50, 70-200 or something like the 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, & 135mm

16. sony

sony Active Member

Get the 17-40mm f/4 and the 70-200mm f/4

17. hash browns

:hsugh: on the 70-200mm f/4 if anything is going to be shot indoors.

18. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Why's that then? It not a big fan of indoor lighting, too big a lens for indoors? I know nothing :big grin: I was actually thinking of that lens for outdoor shots up in the mountains. Indoor photography seems fine with the kit lens.

19. hash browns

Generally an f/4 aperture is too small for an indoor telephoto (no flash).

An aperture of f/2.8 is technically larger than f/4, and provides one more stop of light.