A&P Canon GL2 v. where to buy?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Cheeseburger, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

So the Canon GL2 goes for about 2700 or so at most shops around here. But I found them in like ads in video/photography mags for like...1500-2200. Why so much cheaper? And not stereotyping the shops in NYC...but thats where all these places are located for these ads and stuff.

Are the cameras the same as the ones you see that cost more at like well known stores? Made from same parts, etc. for the camera?

This sounds confusing. but anyone get what I'm saying?

Your thoughts?

2. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

as a camera store employee, I can tell you that big chains and stores get things a HELL of a lo cheaper than a little store does.

3. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Do you get what I'm saying though with the ads in the magazines. Its like other shops like B&H Photo, but not as popular, but they're really cheap sale price. Except B&H is the same price as these bigger shops still the price around 2700 bucks for the camera.

4. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

5. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

lol. actually.. express camera is a fairly large chain.. mainly on the internet... haha. i guess i just know this being in the camera business...

as for the kind of support that the store provides, i can't say, but buying a camera like this, hopefully canon gives great customer service.

6. El Chupacabras

El Chupacabras Blue and Gold Member

Ive heard a lot of people complain about bad service from SOME of those shops in NYC. People saying that they dont give you a warranty, and that they strip down all the accessories. Someone posted a link to a site that is all about customer reviews. Maybe they could post that again? Because you could look up these shops that are selling it for real cheap and see if they are places you can trust. But when its as cheap as you're explaining, you gotta wonder how they can make it that low.....so im glad you posted and asked before buying from any of those places :wiggle:

7. macadamiaman

macadamiaman New Member

Well, in terms of accessories, that camera also comes with a (probably very cheap) tripod, case and cleaning system, and it is "brand new and includes a full US warranty." Not to mention a free remote control car :)

But they don't list shipping. Though even if they charge you $100 it'll still be a good deal by what you're saying. It seems like a good place, and with a 1800 number, so why not?

8. sony

sony Active Member

9. mojito

mojito New Member

10. sony

sony Active Member

11. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

nice find guys. I won't deal with em. I'll probably spend the extra money and get it somewhere else. I see that Newegg.com has it. its 2200 with a 250 mail in rebate. So maybe that's a lil bit better deal. I know a lot of OTers dealing with Newegg and always heard good stuff. Or maybe I'll find some local stores here in WA that have it a lil cheaper than the MRSP price of 2700.

12. sony

sony Active Member

newegg is cool man i bought a lot of stuff there before :eek3:

13. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

I really like the security of a business in case I ever have problems. There is a local place here in WA that deals with home theater, car audio, and other electronics. I would its the higher end of a Best Buy/Circuit City. The only thing is...they sell the GL2 for 2700. I'd rather buy from there cuz I've always gone there for car stereo and my dad goes there for his home stereo. And I've always done business. I don't mind paying a lil extra...but 2700 is a lil steep. I wonder if I could talk em down or get some kind of rebate from em.

14. sony

sony Active Member

That's a Canon rebate not a Newegg rebate my nigga. :bigok:

You can bargain them down on the price too. Maybe they'll match the price on newegg if you're lucky. :mamoru2:

15. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Well the B&H Photo site sells it for 1995 I think. I'm wondering if a business will match an internet site.

I'll do some searching. I'm all about the warranty and being able to have it serviced and not have to fork a bunch of money as long as I have a warrenty

16. sony

sony Active Member

bh is solid u won't have probs

i haven't bought any of my camera gear at b&m and i'm doin fine.. my stuffs out of warranty now tho been over a yr :run:

17. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Can you buy an extended warrenty from em? I bought a DSLR at the place here in WA and I bought a 4 year for 60 bucks. And they are an official Canon repair place too, so I'm sure I could take it there, unless i have to send it to BH if I bought it from them or straight to Canon.

The only reason I want a extended warrenty is cuz of the loading tray for the tape. I hear sometimes a message will come saying "ERROR EJECT TAPE" or something like that. Its usually a 100+ repair, but if its under warranty, you're alright.

18. sony

sony Active Member

iono :run: i usually sell my cameras before warranty is up and switch systems (i.e. canon to nikon and back to minolta then to olympus and back to canon :eek3: )

19. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

hmm. thats cool. I'll definetly do more researching. Thanks for your help.

Time for sleep now!

Any other pointers from others would be nice too. Thanks all.

20. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

wow.. that's kind of suprising... maybe the express camera i was thinking of was an actual store, not related to the website, because we didn't have any trouble dealing with them... :/

21. mojito

mojito New Member

Dell Home Canon GL2 Digital Video Camcorder for $1745.96 + Free Shipping (List Price:$2,799.95)
    20X Professional L-Series Fluorite optical zoom lens 40X and a maximum of 100X Digital Zoom
    Click Here and add to cart for $2,799.95 - 28% Off Code $1TDMRW4XHKZF$(Ends 12/08 5:59am CST or after 200 Uses) - $250 MIR(Ends 12/31) - 1P002ZF2T7QPD0(Payment by Paypal required Ends 12/06) = $1745.96 + Free Shipping [Check Lowest Price]
    Play Dell Holiday Game and get $45 Off $400 Coupon or better one. When registering, select MP3, PDAs, Printer, Cameras as your interest.

22. sony

sony Active Member

nice price :bigthumb:

23. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

nice find. I can't get one till after the new year. I'll probably go with B&H. Unless Dell still has some sort of offer after the new year