A&P Canon GL1 - Viewfinder Issue

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 3x, Jan 6, 2007.

1. 3x

3x New Member

mistyped the title...should say "LCD screen issue"

I'm going to pick up a used GL1 for really cheap, but it has several issues. It doesn't come with a battery (I can always buy one) and the lens is scratched (going to pick up new lenses soon). However, the viewfinder has a weird problem. It works perfectly fine, but only works when it is in the forward facing position; i.e. you are facing the lens of the camera and the LCD screen is facing you. Would this be a firmware/software issue? Perhaps a wire came loose or something? Where should I take it to get it fixed for relatively cheap? Any input would be helpful. I'm somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer so I may be able to open it and see whats wrong, or if anything, take pictures of the inside.

Another question...do they make aftermarket viewfinders for the this camera? Perhaps one that extends more and has a large "screen" or something.

This is my first prosumer camera, and I'll be using it for school. I'm a film major.

Thanks for any help!

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

so you mean the LCD only works in this position:

[​IMG]

?

3. 3x

3x New Member

That would be correct.

4. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

The orientation switch might be bad.

Should be an easy fix. It's something mechanical.

5. Jonny Chimpo

I'd also guess orientation switch. However I doubt it's an easy fix as parts will be impossible to get unless you work for Canon repair.

Also, I'm sure the lenses on the GL1 aren't detachable, how are you going to fix the scratched lens?

Sounds like that GL1 is pretty damn abused.

6. 3x

3x New Member

The lenses on the GL1 aren't detachable? Hm...howcome they sell lenses for them...thats confusing haha. I'm sure theres some way for it to come off...threaded on or something. I'll ask the seller later on.

It was used by a pretty reputable guy...he owns www.dickjonesproductions.com

Probably from his early years of filming skateboarding or something.

7. 3x

3x New Member

Hm...haha

8. 3x

3x New Member

Also, I'm buying it for 350 so I'm not really expecting it to be perfect.

edit: i may be able to get an orientation switch from a gl2 since its newer and pretty much the same camera.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  9. Jonny Chimpo

Yeah I think you were confusing the GL1 and the XL1 for which one has detachable lenses. Here's a pic of my XL1s for reference:

[​IMG]

and when I said the parts would be impossible to get unless you work for canon, I meant that I'm 99% sure that no one sells the repair parts to individuals, not that they weren't available anymore.

Call canon factory service for repair info on the switch, odds are it'll be a <$200 repair. Also ask the seller for a video sample to see if the lens scratch is visible. If it is, the camera isn't worth buying even if the guy sells it for $1.

10. 3x

3x New Member

He said it's "barely visible" but I'm going to be testing it out before I purchase it. Apparently, you can change lense housings via bayonet mount. They sell lots of lenses aftermarket like this.

Maybe I'll check on forums and whatnot to see if anybody is selling the part or anything like that...probably not. If I can't fix it, I might just be able to live with it. I only use the LCD to change controls and adjust manual settings, I shoot with the viewfinder a lot unless i'm doing a low angle and even then its bright outside and I can't see the LCD anyway. Maybe I'll learn to be a good guesser...haha