A&P Canon GL1 video noise? Tired heads?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eighteen_psi, Apr 27, 2009.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

My trusty old GL1 seems to have finally run out of steam, or at least the heads have. I'm getting some block noise showing up along one side of the frame here and there and sometimes get the 'remove tape' error :wtc: Cleaning hasn't helped.

On the plus side, it still shoots beautifully to my firestore or computer over firewire. Anyone ever tried replacing heads on a DV cam on their own? A friend of mine has a GL with a cracked lens with much fresher heads...should I try this? :run: I don't have a ton to lose since I can't shoot it to tape as it is now.

Alternatively, does anyone have a suggest for somewhere to service the thing that's done a good job for them?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

this isn't "Art & Videography" - dumbass. :mamoru:

3. eighteen_psi

Don't be jealous because my still AND video cams have red ring glass on them. [​IMG]

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Kinnnd of a long shot, but perhaps you can take both yours and your friend's camera to a repair shop and ask for a quote to swap 'em? Maybe even tell them they can have the leftover parts from the busted cam in exchange.

5. eighteen_psi

That's not a bad idea :cool:

6. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

try that

7. alexromo

alexromo New Member

good idea but i would keep the extra cam for parts if needed down the road

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I'd try giving Robert's a call.

http://www.robertsimaging.com/

They're out of Indianiapolis and when I visited there I rented a 10-22 from them and checked out their store. They do still and video and have an in house repair guy.

When I was there one of their technicians had a row of 15+ D2x's that he was cleaning the sensors on. I went up and asked him what kind of stuff he reccomended to clean my gear with and he didn't just grab something off the shelf and send me on my way, he took one of the cam's he was working on and showed me! He explained step by step what to do, how to do it ect, and was really awesome. Fantastic customer service when I was there and I imagine if your cam is fixable they'd be able to do it and do it right!