A&P Canon EOS Rebel XSi or Nikon D80

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by rightdownupleft, Nov 26, 2008.

1. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

Which is better?

Fuck I don't know shit about these things.

2. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

which feels good in your hands? go out to a store that has both, try them out and then decide.

3. rightdownupleft

I'm buying it for my girlfriend. She wants to get into photography so I figured fuck...why not crash right into it. I just don't know which one is better.

I'm thinking I'm gonna get the Canon but, if the Nikon is better I'll get that.

4. rightdownupleft

5. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Hmm I always thought that the D80 was a class higher up than the XSi.

6. rightdownupleft

Fuck her theres like 300 dollars in price difference. She gets the Canon.

I think...

7. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I got the XSi as my starter DSLR and I'm loving it

too bad I suck :rofl:

8. aCab

aCab New Member

We all gotta start somewhere bro.:bigthumb:

TS - how "into photography" does she really want to get? A DSLR is overkill for someone who wants to take pictures and not learn and study the art. The biggest thing with a DSLR is going to be learning all the settings. Is she willing/competent enough to?

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Crashing into photography isn't buying a XSi or a D80, its buying a 1Ds mkIII or D3 and then asking how to use it and take pretty pictures... oh, and "where's the pop up flash?". Your walking into a door of a huge addiction that will consume you until you lust after or get the next bigger and better camera. But its a good addiction to have because it has the potential to make you some $$$ and get you recognition. Case in point, turbodude!

10. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

I got the XSi as my starter DSLR and I'm loving it too. It fits me perfectly :)
    Ugraded to a Tamron 17-50 after a cpl of month ftw.

11. nvusgt

nvusgt New Member

i wouldn't say i'm "into photography" more than i'm tired of my point&click pics. I've been debating on getting a "beginner dslr" if you will, only because the fact that most point and clicks don't satisfy my want to have good pictures.

I like looking at pictures that look as if out of a magazine and having friends with nearly every digi cam, i've yet to see pictures turn out that way.

so in my situation what would you recommend? A buddy suggested a 40,50D, when i asked about the XSI, sooooo ya?

12. aCab

aCab New Member

Honestly, a new camera isn't going to fix anything for you. For many people, moving into the DSLR realm without fully understanding what is going on, tends to yield worse results than their P&S. Why do you think so many kit lenses and lower priced lenses are starting to have IS/VR? Yes I know it's getting to be more affordable, but it's also a crutch for people that don't know what they are doing. "I have blurry pictures!" "Get a lens with IS/VR."

The pictures in magazines have more to do with the image itself than the camera it was taken with. Any decent P&S can yield files that are publishable.

As for what I would do in your situation - what's your actual budget like? Buying a DSLR is more than just buying the camera - there are numerous other things you're going to want to buy in addition to the camera. For this reason, I tend to turn many people away from a DSLR, simply because I know they won't be happy with the results they get.

I may be wrong, and you may quickly pick up on photography and how everything in the camera works. Keep in mind that there are 3 main things to good photography:

Possessing a Camera
    Possessing a Camera and knowing how to use it
    Possessing a Camera and knowing how to use it and composing good photographs

13. nvusgt

nvusgt New Member

I knew that if i bought one, pictures weren't going to simply be the kind i'm thinking of. Years ago i was able to use my father's SLR; he wouldn't even let me touch it untill i read the entire manual and this was back in 96...ish, i'll certainly have to brush up on the subject.

My budget isn't really an issue but that doesn't mean i'm going to get professional equipment like yourself. I understand with a DSLR there are other things i should get.

I was just curious as to a decent starting point, we all have to start somewhere right?

14. rightdownupleft

Well right now she is taking a class in college about photography and such.

I am going to get a her a class on how to use the camera to. She has told me that if she were to get a dslr she would want to learn how to use it to its capacity. I've told her that she wouldn't use it to its full capacity and she disagrees. So I figure I'm not going to shoot her down rather I'll just buy her one and she what she does. Plus 700 bucks really isn't that much money.

15. rightdownupleft

Well I know it isn't really "crashing right in" but for her it would be. I'm not going to spend 3 grand on a camera plain and simple. Addicted or not. I'll buy her the start up camera and she can go from there.