A&P Canon EOS 400D vs Nikon D40X vs Olympus E-400 - which one to get?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Smeghead, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

From what I've been reading the Canon seems to be the king of high ISO noise. But apparently the supplied kit lens isn't really good. What other kit lens to get and how expensive would it become?

The other Olympus and the Nikon seems to be equally good as the Canon, and there lies my confusion of which one I should go with.

Which one would you pick?
    Any other alternatives in the same price class?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

id get whatever you feel the most comfortable with. example how hard is it to set the white balance manually in a hurry.

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Why not a used 30D or a D80 with a decent kit lens? You'll be happier in the long run when you're addicted!

4. Girth

I wouldn't go with the olympus because of the lack of lens choices, canon and nikon offer a lot more glass.

The nikon D40x doesn't work with all nikon lenses because of the lack of internal focus motor.

Don't know much about the canon, but its a direct competitor to both of the above, and all 3 are way too tiny in my big hands. Plus with a Canon 30D or a Nikon D80, you can work all lenses and have better quality higher ISO pics.

5. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

out of those, definitely the 400D. They are all quality cameras, but like Girth said, the lack of an internal focus motor is going to limit you to specific lenses, even if it did have the motor, I'd still recommend going the 400D route just based on the XTI being newer technology and 4 <?> more MP, which is a pretty significant difference.

The easiest way to make a choice is to go and feel them. If you have smaller hands the XTI will work fine for you, but IMO it was way too small and felt pretty cheap, but definitely a quality camera.

A used 30D is right in the same price range, 20D can be picked up for about $50-75 cheaper.

There's pros and cons to both. You get a brand new camera, slightly newer technology with the XTI. The 20D/30D you get a much better build quality, larger/brighter viewfinder, and a slightly better menu system.

6. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Thanks for responses.

I'm 6'1" so I imagine my hands are a bit bigger than the average sized.

It's leaning towards the Canon EOS 400D right now, but what about the default lens kit that isn't that good (from what I've read). Should I just buy the camera house and another lens kit, if so, what lens kit would be a good choice (not too expensive).

7. Girth

What's your budget on the whole purchase?

8. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 is a pretty good "replacement" for the kit lens. I personally would want something a little bit wider though. It can be picked up for about $300

9. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Let's say 1000 USD. So not a lot I guess. This would be my first SLR camera.

10. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Let's see I found the Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 lens for 233 USD and the camera house for 791 USD.

Totally 1024 USD. Sounds reasonable.

Can I get anything better than that for that kind of money?

11. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

sounds expensive for the camera. I've seen them running for about $500 - $550 for the body only

Are you looking at the XSI or XTI? That sounds more along the lines of the XSI pricing

12. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd:

13. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

I don't know. It just says "Canon EOS 400D" :shrug:

14. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

They're just too expensive for me. I'm not a professional photographer. It's just a hobby.

15. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Canon 400D.

Olympus and 4/3 system sucks something awful. Your sensor is almost the same size as a P&S sensor :hsugh:

I like the XTi over the 40x. Some people like Nikon though. Its pretty close there to be honest. If it was down to those two, Id say whichever feels better to you and whichever you can get a better deal on.

Only thing I really dont like about the D40x is the reliance on AF-s lenses.

16. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

famous last words

17. Girth

That's what I said almost 2 years ago when I bought my D80 + 18-135 kit (which is around a $1000 on B&H these days... *hint hint, nudge nudge*). Here I sit now with a D80, a D300, $4000 in lenses, and a Mac Pro still trying to learn from the people here and other boards (including a great friend who got me into this) to become half the photog (*)(*), mojito, and others are.

Trust me, the little extra up front is going to save you a lot more headache down the road. Even if you're doing it as a "hobby".

18. Girth

:rofl:

Minus whale stay with the P&S

19. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

a 30D and 400D are just about the same price, you might even be able to find one for less

20. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

If your willing to spend $1000, go the extra mile and get 40D with 28-135mm IS lens for $1130

If you are serious about and want something, good with my advice.

21. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

used 30d and tamron 17-50 ?

22. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

yeah 40D 28-135 kit is only $1100 at a lot of places.. 28 isn't wide enough for many things that you'll want to shoot indoors, but should be fine as an outdoor walkaround lens.

you could always get a 17-55 kit for like $50 if you can't afford 400-500 for a decent wide angle

23. Girth

Look around B&H, adorama, buydig, and amazon to see what you can find when it comes to complete sets. They sell new, used, canon, and nikon. For your money you can go a lot further shopping with them than a retail outlet.

24. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Cheapest I found was 1090 USD for the 30D, and that is just for the camera house without any lens kit.

25. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Wait, this Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 lens is for the Nikon, not Canon?