A&P Canon Elan II-E?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eighteen_psi, Oct 25, 2003.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Went out with my graphic design class today and fired off a good 15 rolls in SF for various assignments with my Fujica STX-1 and the instructor's spare Elan II-E (most with a 75-300mm lens since I have a 50 on my fuji). I was underwhelmed with many of the cheep and/or old cameras most people had but loved using hers. She told me that elan II's can be had for little money and lenses are abundant used....

I can't afford a digital SLR and I have a nice 4800dpi optical HP scanner for grabbin slides so thats no issue...unless someone can suggest a similarly priced digital that would work for me. I like my fuji and its old-school simplicity but its too slow for a lot of the action shots and lenses are hard to find...good 2nd cam but I'd like to pick something newer and more flexible up for my main rig.

Any recommendations? I loved using the camera but I lack a lot of experience in shopping for such things. Good bet or waste of money?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I've got it and the digital equivalent, the D30. I love it, all the deatures you need in easy to use spots. Takes great pics, easy to use and you can use any of canon ef lenses, fd lenses require a mounting bracket, and any canon ef mount lenses from tamrac, sigma, quantray etc.

I use my D30 more often, simply because its more cost effective to shot digitally, and will probably sell my elan 2e to help pay for a new 10d, but it will break my heart to sell such an awesome backup camera.

But my dad, bro, and girl friend all have one to, so it wouldn't be hard to borrow one i guess. All bought it based on my reccomendation and pic quality, and all couldn't be happier.

The newer 7e has a better auto focus system, but I believe the body has more plastic and doesn't warrent the extra $$$

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Thanks..thats good to hear I guess. Want to sell me yours by chance? Not sure I can afford it now but I'm interested at least.

I hear the "E" is the eye control mechanism...it neither bothered me or did anything amazing for me when I was using it. Is it worth the price premium to you?

4. mojito

mojito New Member

i think so, but it depends on what you're shooting. For landscapes or non-moving subjects, then no, but if you're tracking wildlife, sports, or any moving subjects then it really helps.

How much you looking to spend on one?