A&P Canon EFS 18-55 Vs. Canon 50mm II - Comparison pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ekliptix, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

50mm = Canon 50mm 1:1.8 II
    55mm - Canon 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6

Lens Cap Original:
    [​IMG]

Cropped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Text Original:
    [​IMG]

Text Cropped:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sooooooooo, from these tests I gather that the included Canon lens is sharper at it's maximum ap. then the the 50mm 1.8.

The 1.8 seems to improve as it' ap. gets smaller from wide open.

Sorry for missing F18 on the 55mm in the first test.

1.8 = tons of light, but difficulty staying in focus when close and handheld.

It is no sharper then the 18-55 that came with the camera. It is not good for macro because it has to be at least 50 cm away to focus.

It IS good for non flash pics in low light at 1/60 or faster when the focus point is at least 2 meters away. With flash it's good.

I bought it for $100 canadian used with a protection filter.

Here's some crops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shrunk a bit.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple pics using the included Canon lens in daylight.

Original:
    [​IMG]

Cropped, auto contrast, and unsharp mask:
    [​IMG]

2. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

yeah i had posted about my being surprised @ how good the 18-55 that comes in the KIT is ... :bigthumb:

3. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

lol you guys are funny.

the reason why the 50mm is better is because its faster not cause its sharper.

4. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

i dont know why you include me, where did i say it was better because it was sharper?
    and where in his post did he say it?

my original point is that the 18-55 that comes with the kit *is* worth it, and that (for me) the ability to have a virtual 28-80 (or so) lens is worth the loss of aperture stops...

i have the 50mm f1.8 , and aside from the crop factor (which can be cool sometimes) I love it, but was really impressed with the kit lens.

5. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

i think this would have been a better comparision had you showed the 50mm @ f/5.6 just like the 55mm lens... comparing lenses at differant apretures isnt rocket science... anyone who uses camera's on a regular basis and is familiar with canon products will tell you that the 50mm f/1.8 lens isnt as sharp wide open as it is stopped down, which can be said for nearly every lens on the market.

also... when shooting @ f/1.8 what metering mode were you using? spot metering is the ideal solution for shooting wide open macro shots... as well as using a lens hood

6. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

yes, I was doing spot metering.

I though that the pictures would be sharper because with less DOF usually comes more detail.

7. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

think about what you are saying... the dof only makes the focal point "appear" to e more detailed because it adds some depth to the image.

nearly every lens on the market has a sharper point somewhere other then wide open. when i was shooting w/ a freinds canon 85mm f/1.2 i found it to be amazingly sharp between f/2.0 and f/5.6 but wide open at f/1.2 it wasnt all that

8. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

I see. I'll have to do some testing from F2 to F5.6

If I find that it is good between F2 and F3, I'll put it on apature priority and get some good shutter speeds hopefully.

9. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

its a well know fact that the 50mm 1.8 isnt very sharp wide open, but around f8 it is as close as u can get to L glass. And its less than $70!!!