A&P Canon EF28-105/3.5-4.5 USM - any experiences with it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mtkversion, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

Looking for a good all around lens and this seems to get favorable reviews while still fitting in my budget. ( $230 at B&H )

Will be using it almost exclusively outdoors so I'm not worried about the low light performance, just need a lens that will have better image quality than the 300D kit lens and the additional zoom range.

If I were to stretch my budget a bit what is a good lens to consider in addition to this one? ( Don't suggest some L series lens that costs $500+, not worth it to me at this time )

Any pics samples you might have with this lens, I'd like to see.

Thanks.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

tamron 28-75 WR Di, around 300 is much sharper, comparible in auto focus speed

3. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

B&H has it for $370 .. there is a $40 rebate going on but I won't be buying the lens for a while.

Is the $140 price difference worth it?

While I can " expect " a sharper image with the Tamron, the only problem I have with the lens is the 30mm loss on the end.

:hs:

4. mojito

mojito New Member

5. sony

sony Active Member

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=TM2875EOS (350 shipped)

This is probably a better deal for you. You lose a little bit on the long end, but in return you get a much faster (apature wise) and sharper lens, which makes it a lot more versatile as far as shooting conditions go. Its a good walk around lens IMO, even on the 1.6x crop because of its close focusing distance and its "midrangedness" (its right in between wide (17-40/16-35) and long (70-200).

I have personally not used the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, but if Canon's consumer line-up is any indication of the performance of the 28-105, the image quality from the lens probably pales in comparison to the 28-75mm. :hs:

6. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

if you're considering that tamron for $370 then you may want to look into a Canon 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS for around $390.

it's one of the best performing (in re: sharpness, saturation etc...not speed) Canon consumer lenses and with the IS, you can typically slow down your shutter speed by 2 stops or so w/o getting blur from handshake. it's a very popular lens and you don't lose the extra range as you do with the Tamron.

MelloBoy

7. mojito

mojito New Member

The 28-135 is not one of Canon's best, in fact, its only slightly better if at all than the 28-105. It is not sharp at all. Colors are flat etc. There are good versions of this lens, but not so many anymore. I've sold mine, and I know a lot of others that have returned or sold theirs. The IS isn't that important at those focal lengths. You'd be better off with a faster aperature, which is why we looked at the Tamron.

8. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

viper,
    with any lens, there'll be slight variances, even in the canon L line. The lowest of the L line, 70-200mm f/4L has back focus issues on a number of lenses...as a matter of fact there are quite a few people that complain about returning it 3 or 4 times to get a good lens. so...according to that, only about 25-50% of the lenses are of that quality, but it's judged on the quality of the lenses that perform superbly.

that said, just because the majority of the people say that the lens is great, doesn't mean one will recieve a stellar version of the lens. likewise, just because someone says the lens isn't that great, doesn't mean the lens will come with issues from the factory. when i did have the 28-135, i infact returned my copies 2 times before i found one i liked. i've sold mine since, but i beg to differ about it not being sharp and having bad saturation. i'll try to dig up my old pictures from my archive, but honestly, i believe i have a superb copy of the 70-200mm f/4L and a good number of shots from my 28-135 rivals that of the 70-200.

another option is to buy used. atleast that way, you can look at sample images before you decide to buy or pass.

at around 120mm, the slowest shutter speed you really want to do is around 1/100sec. some people may be able to pull off something longer, i have jittery hands so i'm limited to 1/200 or so...sure, it ain't no 400mm lens where you're limited to 1/400sec or so, but the IS can and is useful even at the shorter lengths.

now the 75-300mm IS that canon makes...that one is horrible :(

melloboy

9. mojito

mojito New Member

Of course there are variances, but if you look at the number or returned 28-135s compared to the average, its ridiculous. Plus its a slow aperature lens, and the auto focus is slow. The IS and range are the only things going for it, and its not wide enough on a digital body to do much with. If the quality were up to par, it would be a good walk around lens. But the Tamron would is a better quality lens