A&P Canon D30?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ced, Nov 13, 2004.

1. ced

ced Guest

I have $500-600 (or will by the end of Christmas), and I'm looking to spend it. I'm considering a DSLR, possibly the Canon D30.

I have some questions, though.

Overall, how is the D30? From the reviews it's ok (aside from the white balance)...is it that much of a problem?

What's a good entry level lens for the D30?

How much would a used D30 + entry level lens go for...$500-600?

What is the picture quality like?

Thanks.

2. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Seriously, run and pick one up. I've been thinking of getting one again as a knockaround camera.

This was my first DSLR, I paid about 2.5K for it when it first came out, and it was worth every single penny. I wish I had kept it. :wtc:

Picture quality is amazing. It compares better than most 4-5 MP P&S cameras (no surprise), I think the only issue I had, was the way it rendered the colour purple.

The best entry level lens, would have to be the 50 1.8. $90

I've got my old files archived at the studio, ...so none here to share, ..but you could check photosig.com and do a search by camera.

You should be able to pick up a used mint body for around $400, maybe less.

Check Fredmiranda.com, they pop up there from time to time.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Yeah, I had this cam for years till I got a big tax return and upgraded to a 10D. Its a top notch camera, improvements were higher mega pixels and auto focus points that light up on the D60, and 7 point auto focus and less noise and faster auto focus in the 10D.

At this point, its not going to really go down in price, unless it needs a new shutter. Check everywhere, they're available, and for cheep often. I let mine go for 350 to a friend.

The Tamron 28-75mm XR Di is a good lens to start with, pretty much the top not canon zoom untill you get to the Canon 24-70, which is 4x the price. The Canon 28-135mm IS is a good lens, but there are many bad copies out there. Be careful, otherwise that is another good lens.

The 50mm F/1.8 is going to be the best bang for the buck, followed by the 85mm F/1.8 for portraits.

4. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

The d30 is a pretty good camera. You can pick them up fairly cheap these days and with lens should come under $600. In that price range you might also want to look at a used 300d and decide which you want as they're about the same price.

5. ced

ced Guest

I guess I'll get the 300D as many people are saying take a look at the 300D...it looks like an improvement, too.

However, I have a question. I know on the D30 that you can only see a review of the picture you took...meaning you can't see the real time picture viewing (think the A60's picture taking mode vs. the picture review mode)...can you do both on the 300D?

6. Tikigod

Tikigod New Member

no DSLR that I know of lets you see what the image looks like real time via the LCD -- you'll find out its better just looking threw the lens anyway.

7. ced

ced Guest

Really? Then I'll probably just get a D30 then...that was one of the main things I was looking for (but if none of them do that, I'll just get a D30...besides, I can't really find any used Drebels on eBay).

8. Tikigod

Tikigod New Member

I just sold my used DReb today actually -- you'll like actually seeing directly threw the lens, much better then traditional digital cameras.