A&P Canon crew: Help me pick my next DSLR v.upgrading

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I currently have a 300D, that I purchased about a year before the 350D was released (been a little bit). I have grasped the DSLR world pretty good IMO, and am ready to step up. I'd really like to go pro-SLR, but have no budget for a body that much. Will I be satisfied with the 20D? Should I get the 5D? Or is the 30D good enough to save me a few hundred bones?

Opinions are welcome......

:x:

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you'd be happy with a 20d, but its up to you. you can get them pretty cheap right now

4. mojito

mojito New Member

after rebates, the 5d is 2100 range

used 1d2 is in the 2200-2400 range.

5. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

30D. If you are going for something in that range get the 30D, the spot metering and larger screen are worth it.

6. saebryan

saebryan New Member

I :love: my 30D

I dont see a need to go to the 5D. My next body will be a full pro model

7. Frank N. Beans

Granted your pricing is accurate, would the 1DII be the hands down better choice?

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if you want full frame, then get a 5d.

otherwise aim for a good used 1D2, or a new 30d

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Right. Do you think you need FF or is teh APS-C more your cup of tea? (IE, what lenses do you have, what type of shooting will you be doing most, etc.)

10. joy division

joy division New Member

Basically the only issue with the 5d is the body itself...you in the rain much?

11. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Depends what you shoot. If you need a better AF system, weather sealed body, and don't need the higher resolution, 1d mkii. If you want more resolution, full frame, brighter viewfinder.. 5d.

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I went from the 300d to the 20d.

No complaints here.

13. Frank N. Beans

I do a shit ton of action shots. Drag strips, RC tracks, all kinds of racing/action. So that alone is a key factor in ditching the 300D's poor 1.5 FPS. I also do alot of still photography of cars, and sometimes landscapes (long water exposures, night pics, etc).

14. don't need 5d or 1d for that but if you want to stand around and think you're hardcore with an expensive camera go for it.

You could get the same Drag strips, RC tracks, all kinds of racing/action shots with a 20/30d that you can with a 1d or 5d. Actually if it were me

1d>30d>20d>450d>350d>300d

don't use 5d for stuff like that.

But if you're any good at photography you won't need to upgrade your body because you should be able to get some great shots using your 300d. Getting a 1d or 20d will not make your photos awesome..... Yea your ego might blow up though :greddy:

15. if you want more fps get 1dmk2. (7 or 8 fps i think)
    30d/20d (5 fps i think)

photographing still cars, landscapes, long water exposures and night pics you can use (30d>20d>450d>350d>300d) 1d and 5d would be overkill but go for it

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  16. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

i don't know anyone that has a 5d

17. Derrict

LowLikeWhoa probably hasn't ever used a 1D MKII so he doesn't have a clue how much more accurate the autofocus system over the 20D/30D is. In AI servo mode, the 1D MKII blows away the 20D/30D. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, the 20D/30D is fine but the 1D series AF is just plain better.

I'd respond that I have experience with both because I own them but LowLikeWhoa would respond back that I'm stroking my ego by telling the world I own a 1D MKII and that it's overkill for what I do, and that my skill is lacking so I buy a pro body to compensate.

18. Derrict

FPS is overrated. Canon crew use it as an advantage over the Nikon crew but it's nothing special. Timing > Bursts. If you go overboard in burst mode, you'll end up with a shitload of pictures that you'll have to sort through. The only time I find high FPS being worthwhile is in the event of an accident/car losing control. For most panning shots, I'll take 1 or 2 pics.

19. ORLY? :rofl:

20. Derrict

Feel free to post any racing/action shots from one.

21. Feel free to continue being a faggot.

I never said that I've owned a 1d, but and neither did you...

So just because I've used a 1d means I can keep all the pics I shot using this camera!?!?! :run: You think the 1dmk2 is nice try 1dsmk2 :wackit: Oh wait... not many people standing around taking pics at car shows use those so good luck :mamoru:

Also other cameras that I have used that I liked were D200 and D2X. If you want after this weekend I can bring you pics of my cawk taken with a d200 or D2X. But my friend with the 1d and 1dsmk2 lives in NY and I'm not driving all the way up there to make you look like an idiot, you don't need my help for that. :slap:

22. Derrict

Why the hell would I want to use a 1Ds MKII? It doesn't fit my style of photography nor would I spend $6k on a used body for one.

Oooh, you used a few Nikons. Grats you. Should I drive down the street and borrow my friends? Big deal, you used someone else's camera - it still doesn't give any facts as to why a 30D would give the same results as a 1D body for racing / action shots. Unless you see the pictures on a computer, you would never see how sharp (or how out of focus) a shot is. Stick with answering portrait questions since you have no experience with what is in question here.

23. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

24. Yes I used a friends camera. Big deal, you said I probably never used one, and I was proving you wrong... I don't know where you get off thinking you know what cameras I've used and have not used.... :rofl: Now lets get back to you looking like an idiot...

:Ownedd:

25. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Sorry dude, the only idiot is you.