A&P Canon AE-1 vs Rebel 2000

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by chojin, Sep 8, 2003.

1. chojin

chojin You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance

I have narrowed it down to these two for my first SLR camera. It will be used for mostly nature/city shots and black & white photos. The only thing a complete n00b like me can tell is that one has an auto or manual focus while the other is completely manual. Plus, one has been released since the 70s and the other since ~2000? :o Pros and cons of each one?

Also, where would I go to get/make prints? I assume I can't take it to a retail store to get them printed. Next semester when I take a photography class, I'll have access then to a lab, but until then..?

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

you can take them to a retail store, they're regular 35MM cameras. You just won't be as happy with the prints. If you have a "good" camera store in your area, most will do prints and get higher quality than others.

That said, I would highly recommend the AE-1 as I have one and truly love it. Extremely high quality shots and I find it easier to do special effects with focusing/etc. than with an auto/manual cam. It is also compatible with hot-shoe flashes which is nice, and also able to connect just about any canon-compatible lens via an adapter.

One thing I would make sure of if you're doing much photography of moving objects, make sure to get an "AE-1 Program" (AE for f-stops, Program Mode for automatic shutter speed selection)

Overall, I just feel that the older cams are better constructed (nothing beats an all-metal body for reliability and durability) and can be found in great shape if you look in the right places.

3. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

ok... im going to disagree w/ teh above statements... and i have a few reasons for doing so

first, forget about buying either camera. get a used eos elanII from www.keh.com or ebay. buying a used slr and newlenses is by far the best bang for the buck. a used elan II will cost the same or less then a rebel, and the lens thats sold w/ the rebel is utter garbage

my reason for suggesting an auto focus camera over say the ae-1 is for a few reasons. older camera's have some problems to them, mold, light seals, etc. they generally tkae a lil more maintance, but are bulletproof if u do maintain them

the other reason... auto focus camera's are more userfriendly and u will get more use out of them. lets say for instance u go to a family get together or a bbq w/ some friends and want someone else to take photos w/ u in it. u wont have to spend a half hour telling htem how the light meter works and how to do this and that to take one stupid photo... u can put the camera in full auto mode and the lens in auto and show them where the shutter release button is and thats it, its really that simple.

on the other hand, u can take the elan II and put it in full manual if u like, shutter or apreture priority as well...

the reason im suggesting the elanII is because it is hands down a better camera. its middle ground between the rebel line and the eos a2/elan7 line.. and the biggest advantage it has is the 2nd command dial on the back.

if u have morequestions, feel free to ask

4. ibewill

ibewill New Member

i recommend the ae-1 but that is only because that is what i started with so i am biased.

5. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

I may be mistaken, but the top plate of the AE-1 is made of plastic painted to look metallic. This was part of how they dropped the price so low when they were introduced.

If you want a manual camera that will force you to learn the relationship between aperature and shutter speed, and can be used as a bludgeoning weapon in its spare time, get a nikon fm2, or go with what mike panic recommends.

6. chojin

I have a Powershot A70 for gatherings such as this. I'm more interested in a camera for when I go hiking/camping, snowboarding, sunsets, thunder/lightning, rainy days, black and white...etc.

What's a 2nd command dial?

7. chojin

Bah, now I'm torn between 3 cameras....Where do you guys go to develop your prints? Anyone know a good place in North Orange County?

8. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

i go to A&I.

9. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

where in north orange county? pci is an awesome place for getting developing done... i've taken slides, 120, and 4x5 there and they do quality in house on all

it's right by john wayne tho so i'm not sure if that's in your area

10. Joe

yes it is plastic

11. Joe

oh, and in terms of finding a place to get a good deal on a camera... check out the buena park camera show... there's usually some quality stuff there (although there's alot alot of shit)

3rd sunday of every month... i got my speed graphics there for pretty cheap and it was in good condition...

12. Davan

Davan Guest

I started out with a completely manual vintage 70's SLR. The classic Olympus OM-1.

Since then I've tried my hand at many newer style cameras, with auto functions, and i just hate them. Got rid of every single one. I absolutely dispise autofocus. The only thing I like about auto cameras is that they can self light-meter.

However, for the types of shots I mostly take (artistic crap) I find auto to be useless. I like to be able to fully control the depth of field and focus, to produce the shot exactly like I imagine it in my head.

I now primarily use the OM-1 and a Pentax K1000. I have a variety of lenses for each. Fully manual for me, personally. When I'm just doing quick point and shoots, I pull out the aps or the digital.

I think it all comes down to what you are going to be using the camera for, specifically. That will determine what features you require.

In a perfect world, we could all have different cameras for different uses like I do. For a first timer though, I guess you have to pick what is going to be the best middle ground for you. :)

13. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Well, like some people who have posted, I started out in photography with an AE-1; it was actually my sister's camera. I like the Ae-1 so much that I opted to get the aei-p when I wanted my own camera. I didn't acutally use the program mode much; most of the time, I was using it in manual mode. One noticeable difference between the Ae-1 and ae-1p was that the Ae-1p's viewfinder was brighter. A bright view finder is important for manual focusing in low light, and previewing the depth of field.

14. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

the second command dial can be used for differant things.

in full manual, the main command dial by the shutter release controls your shutter speed, the thumb wheel on the back controls apreture. if you are in shutter priority, the main one by the shutter controls your shutter speed, the thumb wheel controls your over/under exposure value. if you are in apreutre priority, the command dial by the shutter controls the apreture, the thumb wheel will control over/under exposure

if you are gonna be taking it to the mnt for snowboarding shots, your MUCH better off w/ an af system, otherwise u are going to have to try to pre-focus everything.

also, all metal camera's are not the best in clold weather. as metal gets cold, it expands slightly and getting it super cold and then bring it back to temp over and over again can actually warp the shutter curtains and other parts of the camera

for developing... most of the cvs/wamart/kmart one hour photos are all done on a fuji frontiere printer, its the same one u will find in the local "pro" photo lab. most of the kmart/cvs/walmart overnight photos are actually mailed to a kodak or fuji lab.

the advantage of going to a local pro lab is that u can find out what kind of paper they are printing on. generally speaking, kodak film looks better on kodak paper and fuji film looks better on fuji film

15. Davan

Davan Guest

The issue I've had with a lot of the quick one hour photo places, is that they don't seem to keep the colors calibrated very well. Only when they get a few complaints about the colors will they have a tech come in and calibrate the machine.

16. chojin

La Palma to be exact. What/where is pci? I searched on google but got nothing specific. John Wayne is closer than the nearest A&I in downtown LA. And this Buena Park camera show, is it held at Sequoia or Holiday Inn?

17. chojin

What do you use now?

I've narrowed it down to the AE-1 and Elan II..leaning towards the AE-1.

18. ibewill

ibewill New Member

i still use the ae-1. i've got three lenses for it. a 50mm f1.8, a 24mm f2.8, and a 135mm f3.5. i just picked up a new camera, a yashicamat 124g. it is medium format.

19. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

ok... lets look fwd a bit before u choose. do u think w/in the next 25months u would want to buy a dslr such as the 10d or new eos 300d (digital rebel)??

if so, buy the elanII so that the lenses u buy now will fit the dslr when u get it

20. Joe

a good minilab will maintin their machines well and keep chemical levels close... for instance when i was trainign to be a reginonal tech for wolf, one of the things i was always told to ask first when issues came up was to check how the morning densotomiter tests were.... usually the first sign of a problem... on the other hand a cheap place (*coufromexgh*) doesn't keep their fixer at the right levels so if you take your film there to be developed, you'll get a nice milky haze on your negatives...

alot of the newer fuji and noritsu machines actualy have automatic densotonimeter functions where you run a strip through and it scans it and adjusts accordingly, but i've found that my local target store with the machine doesn't run it daily, but instead monthly (was talking to the guy behind the counter, i think i confused him)

maintenence of the machine is vital too, i've seen the racks on some of costco's machines and they're not pretty...

21. Joe

there's got to be good places around you... the trip to costa mesa isn't worth it just for good developing...

but just for reference for anyone closer to them

3186 G Airway Avenue
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626

http://www.photocenterinc.com/

there's a slight student discount there which is nice... and they did an awesome job mounting my friend's 30x75 photos onto 3/4" foamcore..

the camera show is at the sequoia club

7530 ORANGETHORPE - BETWEEN THE 5 & 91 FREEWAYS AT BEACH BLVD

http://www.cameraexpo.com/

next one is on the 21st

22. chojin

It's not that far from GWC so I can probably stop by in between or after classes. It would be great to know of a place in Cypress or Cerritos, but I haven't heard of any. How much does an AE-1 plus a couple lenses go for at the show(roughly)?

I highly doubt I will purchase any of those digicams.

23. Joe

price will probably depend but you're looking at around 100~175 depending on the lenses... you can always haggle and try and convince whoever to cut the price for you since you're buying a few things... there;s lots of vendors so the "well i'm going to keep looking around" excuse works pretty well...

24. Joe

maybe try asking whoever runs the photo dept at golden west... they would probably know the area better... i'll ask around tho....