A&P canon a2e

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lemans23, Dec 13, 2004.

1. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

is this a good starting camera? i see 'em all over ebay. says the msrp when it came out was 1200 bucks. 'tis true? theyre on ebay for like 90 bucks. is this a better choice than an elan? are there any sites that compare cameras and give u analysis on which to buy? thanks

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I have one. Great cam...and I mean GREAT. A2e > Any ELAN..with one exception: Flash interface. Because it uses an older AF/Flash setup, the A2e/5 cannot control the AF assist light on flashes (bah) like the elan can. It also can't fire a pilot flash for exposure...so you have to wing that. Otherwise...8000 shutter, 5fps drive, multi-exposure (up to 9, more if you're crafty) on a single frame, custom functions out the wazoo, and the best-built plastic body you'll ever find. Don't let the plastic shell fool you...its no rebel. heavy(ish), solid as hell and great feeling to shoot with (especially with big hands like mine). There might be a few other odds and ends too...but in general, it > elan. Grab a VG-10 vertical grip for it and its even better (been looking for one for mine forfrigginever though).

A good starting camera....eh, I prefer learning on a manual..like my fujica STX-1 which I also love. If you want to pick up something that won't hold you back, pretty much ever, though, An A2 rocks. The eye controlled focusing rocks too...far better than the later, Elan IIe implementation (though I can't speak for the 7 which is supposedly better still).

3. lemans23

ah well 2 late i bought the elan 7. the command dial thing was not too satisfactory for me. especially if i have to rip open my new camera before i use it.

4. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

6. lemans23

what can i put on the elan? does the bp300 work well?

7. mojito

mojito New Member

you need the bp-50 i believe. Only has the shutter, no other functions, uses either AA ors CR2 batteries, and has a extra loop to use a E1 handstrap. Its light weight plastic though