A&P Canon 1d Mark][

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by huligan, Oct 17, 2004.

1. huligan

huligan weed pro

I am thinking of upgrading from my Canon D60 to the Canon 1d Mark ][. Does anyone have any experience with this camera, or thoughts on where I am able to get it for the least amount of money.

Thanks in advance for any input you are able to provide.

2. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

It's an Excellent camera, ...fast, fast, fast.

It's quite a step up from the D60, and there is a learning curve, if you are not used to the 1 (or 3) series body.

What do you want to know about the camera particularily? I am using a 1DMKII, for now, waiting for the 1dsMKII

As for buying, ..apparently onecall.com, is doing a 10% off sale, and the camera can be had for just above 4k.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

its an incrediable machine. Hope you have good lenses. Body alone is worthless. Its heavier than a D60 with a grip on. About twice the weight of the body alone. CF card door is locked, takes an extra second to get a card in and out. No built in flash. Other than that, its great. The battery is different, a bummer

4. huligan

huligan weed pro

Thanks for the replies.

As far as lenses go, I have a 100mm macro at the moment and a 28-135mm. Not sure what I will get next in the way of lenses. I rent lenses on a fairly regular basis from a local camera shop, and this helps when I go on trips or need a special lens for a few days.

My experience with photography is limited. I pretty much shoot experimentally, and have learned to get around on the D60 pretty well. The D60 is the first slr camera I ever had any experience with, and I have actually used it on a professional level doing mostly studio type work.

I assumed that the markII would be the next logical step in my quest for the best quality digital photo I can afford (kinda).

Vilnius, is the markII going to feel completely foreign to me since I have been using the lighter D60?

I would like to get a flash, but not sure exactly what to get for my needs. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions for a good all around shooting lens for the markII?

Last but not least,

Is the 20D going to be a better choice for someone like me upgrading a D60?

5. mojito

mojito New Member

Based on what you've said so far, unless you really need the speed, I would probably go with the 20D and spend some on lenses. The 28-135 should be ebayed. Pick up a 20mm, 24-70, 70-200. Just depends on what you shoot. The 50mm and 85mm are great lenses too. Lenses retain their value and are the key to quality. Bodies will always change, and lose their valuee very quickly.

The weight is gonne double on just the body alone, though it does have a great feel. No internal flash. Make sure to get a E1 handstrap. The 20D is gonna give you more resolution, faster auto focus, more auto focus points, faster frame rate, slightly lighter, uses a different grip, and other new features you can look up.

For a flash, the 550ex has always been the standard, but the newer 580ex will be designed for the crop factor of digital cams.

It is a great body, but unless you really need it, I'd spent the money on lenses. If this is gonna be a studio cam, you might look for a used 1ds once the nerwer model comes out. The mark 2 is really built for sports, wildlife, weddings, whings where spped counts.

6. huligan

huligan weed pro

It is a real drag that there are not any stores locally here in socal that have both of these cameras in stock where I can hold them and try them. I like to hold a camera body before purchasing it.

I will definitely look further at the 20d. Thanks for the direction and advice, it is much appreciated.

I assume you are talking about the 20D over the D60 here. I am very happy with the quality of shots that I get with the D60. The 20D may be the best choice since I am not really shooting sports as my main objective. I do shoot surfing/bodyboarding from time to time as well as snowboarding. I also shoot wildlife from time to time as well, but again, this is not my main objective. Believe it or not, I have actually gotten some nice prints of the sports and wildlife I have had a chance to shoot with the D60 even though it is probably considered slow at this point.

Is the 580ex something to look into for the D20, or is the 550ex more suited to the D20?

Thanks again for the advice and discussion.

ps. That sounds like good advice spending more on quality lenses..

7. mojito

mojito New Member

Th d60 is a grat cam. My dad has it, and its the same sensor as the 10D which I have. Just kinda slow in autofocus and not as advanced.

Try Samys to see if they have the bodies in stock. I'm up in SB, but Russ's had them both, I would assume Samys does and Calumet should as well.

The 580 would work well with the D20, enough to justify it over the 550, I don't know that. I'd look at fredmiranda.com or other major photo sites for that. I use a 550 and have excellent results with it on a 10D, usually with a stofen omnibounce diffuser attached.

8. sony

sony Active Member

The d60 uses DIGIC I vs the 10D and Rebel using DIGIC II, though. Because of that, I'd pick a Rebel over a D60 just for the image quality.

IMO, you're better off getting a used 550 from someone upgrading. The 580 is way too expensive right now. :hs:

9. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Get the 20D, a used 420EX, a 17-40 4L and a 70-200 4L and 50mm 1.8 mkII

You can do all that for $3k and have an awesome setup. Don't forget to add some 1gb ultra II CF's, a tripod/monopod extra batteries/chargers etc if you don't have that stuff already. Also if you have the money to burn upgrade the 70-200 to the 2.8IS and get a 24-70 2.8L and sell your current lenses.

By the way I had a 10D then now 20D, 20 is a lot nicer so I think it will be decent upgrade from D60...

I did play with a 1DMKII a few times but around $5k body only it's just not worth it to me yet... It is a LOT harder to pickup and use when you are used to say D60... the 20D everything is in the same place minus a thing or two... 1D everything is different.

10. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

10D(+300d) is digic I IIRC since I had one... marginal difference between D60/10D and in some ways the D60 has better dynamic range, but 10D less noise esp at higher iso. 10D AF faster too you can actually use AI servo...

1dMKII and 20D have digic II and ETTL2 and great dyn.range and low ISO noise etc...

20d= 5fps 1dmkii=8fps (with custom functions to set desired fps)

11. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

It's a sick camera, but I would suggest getting a 20D instead of the 1D if you aren't using it professionally, unless you just have the money to blow.